wrong dip stick?

rowhoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a Terramite backhoe/loader with a Kohler CH20-64519 engine. This is a replacement engine. All data with backhoe shows the engine should use 2 quarts of oil. The dip stick shows way above the full mark. I drain out 1 quart and the dip stick reads full. Is it possible that the engine can run ok with only 1 quart of oil? Also when I started engine with 2 quarts, oil dumped into carb through the breather tube. Hope somebody knows an answer. Thanks. rowhoe.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carb float valve is not closing properly and the fuel is leaking down the carb throat and dribbling into the sump
Check the oil , it should feel thin & smell of fuel.
Drain the engine and see how much oil is in there then add the 2 quarts and see where it comes to on the dipstick.
If the oil is fuel diluted do not use it.

keakar

Threads
I just purchased a Terramite backhoe/loader with a Kohler CH20-64519 engine. This is a replacement engine. All data with backhoe shows the engine should use 2 quarts of oil. The dip stick shows way above the full mark. I drain out 1 quart and the dip stick reads full. Is it possible that the engine can run ok with only 1 quart of oil? Also when I started engine with 2 quarts, oil dumped into carb through the breather tube. Hope somebody knows an answer. Thanks. rowhoe.
give us the engine number stamped into the valve cover, most standard intek engine 12hp and under will only need 1 quart of oil

since its a replacement engine, many things will be different so you cant go by what the book says

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
give us the engine number stamped into the valve cover, most standard intek engine 12hp and under will only need 1 quart of oil

since its a replacement engine, many things will be different so you cant go by what the book says
He gave us the model number of the engine in the OP and it is a Kohler command Horizontal 20hp engine. And all the ones that I have worked on take 2 quarts Which is a standard amount for almost all Kohler engines.

rowhoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I saw on parts lists that there are two different numbers for the dipstick. So I ordered the other number thinking it might be have the full indication in a higher place. Thanks for help but I just don't want to ruin this like new engine because of low oil. And yes, I am going to wire up a oil light to the oil sender just for extra safety.

rowhoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
One more thing: the model number is CH20-64519 but there is also stamped: CH20S. Does the "S" tell you anything?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes, It simply indicates the engine has an electric starter. As for the dipstick the following parts bulletin covers the differences.
pb-227.JPG

Last edited:

rowhoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
First of all, Thanks for fast response. I looked and my stick is 24-038-10 but it does not have the "S" on it. Could that be a problem?IMG_E2519.JPGIMG_E2519.JPG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Nah, The -S is just a newer part as the older PN has a new supplier.

rowhoe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you in a position to advise me that I can run this hard working engine with only 1 quart of oil In crankcase? I was wondering if there are two different bottom housings that might give it the 2 quart capacity.
Thanks for helping to all of you
rowhoe. sounds like I'll still have a rough Row 2 Hoe.