Worth fixing Briggs I/C 16.5hp 310707 OHV that ate valve?

cmw

Threads
  • / Worth fixing Briggs I/C 16.5hp 310707 OHV that ate valve?
I have a Briggs I/C 16.5hp OHV 310707 model engine that was given to me on an old riding mower. The old mower had been left to rot for like 3 years and I surprisingly had it running in like 30 minutes. The first thing I did was give it a fresh fill of synthetic 10W30 as the oil had been neglected. This is one of the ones without an oil filter so the new oil looked pretty dirty right off the bat as it began to dissolve the old sludge deposits. The engine actually ran pretty well with no obvious oil burning or knocks so I figured I might have gotten lucky. It mowed the yard with plenty of power until it went POOF and let out a cloud of smoke and just died. The engine had no compression so I figured it had just thrown a rod. Anyway, I thought it was odd that there was no prior warning and began to re-think my first assumption that a rod had let go as there were no signs of external damage. Anyway, I can tell the piston is still present and moves up and down so I know the rod isn't busted. Then I decided to pull the valve cover and things got interesting. The intake valve had lost its keeper and gone into the cylinder. It had done this at least twice as I could see two holes in the head where the valve had been blasted back through the top of the head by the piston. It remains lodged in the head where it went through the second time. The spring, keeper, chunks of cast aluminum from the head, and part of the valve guide and seal were laying inside the valve cover. The rocker arm and pushrod appear to have survived.

I haven't pulled the head off this yet but it doesn't look like a hard job. I know it will need a completely new head as this one is destroyed and also figure I will need to remove the head to evaluate if the engine is worth saving or not. I would plan to keep the rest of the mower as you can find used engines from time to time even if this engine is scrap. Anyone else had a similar experience? My main concern is that there may be visible or more worrisome invisible damage to the piston and rod if I were to fix this. Of course if I see a hole in the piston, I will probably just pull it off and scrap the thing. Anyone have advice on this? Also, why would something like this happen?

I drained the oil right after this happened as it was starting to get dark and I didn't want to have any unseen damage allow an entire fill of oil to drain in the yard that night. I poured the oil into a bottle from the pan the next morning and I didn't notice any worrisome metal chunks or flakes in the oil so I am guessing this is a good sign.

rarebear

Threads
Check eBay for the parts you need.. Also check Partstree.com, it maybe the same price for new parts and not worth buying used..

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
If I were in your position, and really wanted to keep the motor, I would pull it all the way down ...... nothing to lose but time . If you decide to rebuild , then at least you'll sleep better not wondering if you SHOULD have checked this or that......... let the cost of parts determine your decision, and if you get another used engine ..... you MAY face similar problems here's a link to a service manual .........

http://www.ccdist.com/_serviceManuals/briggs/276781.pdf ( if you get an error message... check your screen ( bottom) to see if it's downloading give it a minute )

You can find your parts manuals and parts at these ( among many others ) places :
(jackssmallengines.com) ( ereplacementparts.com) ( partstree.com) (mymowerparts.com) (repairclinic.com) .... I've purchased from these outfits and they're good reliable sites , I wish you good luck with your decision and it's outcome ........ Boobala :thumbsup:

cmw

Threads
I went ahead and pulled the head on this today. The piston looks solid except for a few dings but there are no major defects. I found a guy locally willing to sell me a used head that he THINKS fits this for $20 so fixing it is a no brainer. I am going to definitely take the destroyed head with me to make sure they are really the same part.

This guy told me that excess lash may have been what led to my failure. I can tell that the remaining valve had quite a bit of excess lash and am surprised it even ran. I didn't measure the lash but would say a couple layers of cereal box cardboard would have fit which doesn't take a precise measurement to know that was too much. Anyway, I may have this one back in business soon.

cmw

Threads
I tore the head off this engine today and found damage to the piston to be minimal and no cylinder wall gouging. I found a complete used head with valves, springs, and such locally for $20 and jumped on it. The engine is re-assembled, lash set to spec, and most importantly, RUNNING! I did already drain the new fill of oil in case I missed any debris inside it since this one doesn't have a lubrication system with an oil filter. I will get new oil and fill the crankcase tomorrow and take it for another run.

Conor

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
poke a stick down the plug hole and put some weight on the piston.
Rotate the engine and feel for binding or irregular movement

cmw

Threads
I think this one is fine. I ran it pretty hard for quite a while after the oil change today and it ran great. I think it would have come apart if it was going to with how much tall grass I ran it through at full throttle. I did run the piston up and down a few times with the head off during the repair to make sure crud wasn't stuck down in the ring area and it was smooth as silk. There were a few metal shavings in the cylinder but the walls were smooth and I could still see the original cross-hatch. You wouldn't have known it was even still connected to the crankshaft. I think I got lucky with this one but will see if it comes apart at the seams one of these days.