wood snow plow?

metz12

Threads
So in the latest storm my aftermarket tiawan made starter failed. In the first big storm where it was really cold the starter gear didnt want to move up on the shaft to turn the engine, so I took the thing off, and put it inside to warm up. after I did that it worked fine. This time I tried the same thing since it was frozen again and when I took the bolts out the starter gear and the shaft had broken off the starter motor! So I ended up having to shovel my driveway. So now getting to the point is i want to try to make some kind of wood snow plow for my mtd. This way I have a backup and if I get a couple more driveways I can have one of my buddies plowing too. I need ideas of how to mount it, and the cutting edge on the bottom. I was thinking of doing something like this:

and this is the front of the tractor http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/metz12-albums-snow-storm-jan-2013-picture19073-007.html

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/metz12-albums-snow-storm-jan-2013-picture19073-007.html

Attachments

• wood snow plow.JPG
    wood snow plow.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 76

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
So in the latest storm my aftermarket tiawan made starter failed. In the first big storm where it was really cold the starter gear didnt want to move up on the shaft to turn the engine, so I took the thing off, and put it inside to warm up. after I did that it worked fine. This time I tried the same thing since it was frozen again and when I took the bolts out the starter gear and the shaft had broken off the starter motor! So I ended up having to shovel my driveway. So now getting to the point is i want to try to make some kind of wood snow plow for my mtd. This way I have a backup and if I get a couple more driveways I can have one of my buddies plowing too. I need ideas of how to mount it, and the cutting edge on the bottom. I was thinking of doing something like this:

and this is the front of the tractor http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/metz12-albums-snow-storm-jan-2013-picture19073-007.html

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/members/metz12-albums-snow-storm-jan-2013-picture19073-007.html

Sure looks like a nice start with the plow. You will need some way to raise and lower it. Maybe one of them cheap winches from Harbor Freight?

metz12

Threads
not sure. i think i would like something with my foot before i get a winch. the winch is a good idea though.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
not sure. i think i would like something with my foot before i get a winch. the winch is a good idea though.

To lift it mechanically you will need something with leverage, like a long handle. What did you have in mine with your foot?

metz12

Threads
To lift it mechanically you will need something with leverage, like a long handle. What did you have in mine with your foot?

not sure. i was thinking something like a broom handle or something. or like a wood handle from a snow shovel. then i would have to rig up some kind of fulcrum

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
not sure. i was thinking something like a broom handle or something. or like a wood handle from a snow shovel. then i would have to rig up some kind of fulcrum

Get a piece of galvanized pipe it'll be strong enough. You also need a scraped because the wood is going to worn fast maybe a piece of angle metal for the bottom

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I see you like working with wood . I have been out in my shop making things.

Attachments

• 100_1216.jpg
    100_1216.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 52
  • 100_1219.jpg
    100_1219.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 58

mowerman05

Threads
hows that wood burner work without a smoke stack. or is it not in use yet.

mowerman05

Threads
does it heat you out of your shop or is it not as large as it looks