Wildcat Rebuild. Advice needed.

solocutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
Recently purchased a scag wildcat 52" that had a liquid cooled kawasaki, I think a 26 hp, that caught on fire. I'm in the process of rebuilding it now. I do not want to put the same motor back on, i'd like to repower with an air cooled motor According to my scag service manual there are 4 different motors that were put on the wildcat:
1. 27hp Kohler
2. 25hp Kawasaki
3. 26hp Kawasaki liquid cooled
4. 30hp Kohler
I was told by my scag dealer that repowering with a different motor can be difficult. I dont think that in my case it should be all that hard because I need to buy everything associated with the motor since it all burned up i.e. wire harness, muffler, controls, etc. So I wont have any mix-matching issues. My thought was to just make sure that i get a motor with the same size shaft diameter and length. currently it is 3 7\8" by 1 1\8". Also I thought that if I could get a model number off another wildcat just like mine except that it has the 25hp kawasaki on it, or whatever motor I decide to get, that I could just use that model number to order my parts for. Hopefully that makes sense. So, anybody got a wildcat 52" velocity deck with the 25hp Kawasaki? Also, do you think that would be a good motor choice or have another recommendation?

I have pics and will load them soon. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would call Scag direct and ask for customer service. They are your best source to answer your questions and give you the part numbers you need. You can explain that you will purchase your products from your dealer, you just need expert advice for your repowering project. That way you will know everything. Will find properly. When you order parts from your dealer, ask are a discount, as you did the work for him.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Several dealers that I know have experienced above normal problems with liquid cooled Kawasaki engines.
I would check out Kawasaki FX models which are air cooled and have the two stage air filtration systems. The FX730 series is 24-26 HP rated. Matching crankshaft diameter and length is critical to reducing repower problems.
Mad Mackie in CT

xX_Menace_Xx

Threads
I am a lil concerned about my recent purchase of a scag 61" 0 turn.
It has a 27 hp liqued cooled kawi engine.
How did yours catch fire?

solocutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a lil concerned about my recent purchase of a scag 61" 0 turn.
It has a 27 hp liqued cooled kawi engine.
How did yours catch fire?

Luckily it caught fire for the previous owner and not me. I was told that it blew a head gasket and over heated. My bet is that he didn't keep the radiator gaurd clean which might have caused the head gasket to go but either way it was probably owner negligence.

solocutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would call Scag direct and ask for customer service. They are your best source to answer your questions and give you the part numbers you need. You can explain that you will purchase your products from your dealer, you just need expert advice for your repowering project. That way you will know everything. Will find properly. When you order parts from your dealer, ask are a discount, as you did the work for him.

Good thought, unfortunately I can't find a number on scags website to call them directly but I did fill out their form to contact them so hopefully they will either call me or e-mail me back. I wish that you could order the parts directly from scag.

Anyways, I finished disassembling the mower today, all the way down to the last bolt. Now I'm in the process of finding someone to sandblast and paint for me. I'm not currently set up to do either nor do I have the time. So far I have one price for blasting and painting, $800. I hate to put that much money into painting a mower but I do want to have it done right. There are a lot of parts to these things with a lot of nooks and pockets which have to make the blasting and painting process a pain. We'll see how fair that price is once I get some more estimates.

Some Pics.

photo.jpg

photo (1).jpg

photo (2).jpg

Threads
Good thought, unfortunately I can't find a number on scags website to call them directly but I did fill out their form to contact them so hopefully they will either call me or e-mail me back. I wish that you could order the parts directly from scag.

Anyways, I finished disassembling the mower today, all the way down to the last bolt. Now I'm in the process of finding someone to sandblast and paint for me. I'm not currently set up to do either nor do I have the time. So far I have one price for blasting and painting, $800. I hate to put that much money into painting a mower but I do want to have it done right. There are a lot of parts to these things with a lot of nooks and pockets which have to make the blasting and painting process a pain. We'll see how fair that price is once I get some more estimates.

Some Pics.

View attachment 12481

View attachment 12482

View attachment 12483

Wow it sure took a beating in the fire. Once it's sand blasted/painted good luck on the assembly! :smile:

solocutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Several dealers that I know have experienced above normal problems with liquid cooled Kawasaki engines.
I would check out Kawasaki FX models which are air cooled and have the two stage air filtration systems. The FX730 series is 24-26 HP rated. Matching crankshaft diameter and length is critical to reducing repower problems.
Mad Mackie in CT

I'm ready to buy the motor now and I think i'm going to go with your recommendation of the fx730. Only place that I've found it so far is smallenginewarehouse.com for about $1400 and $150 to ship it. Any suggestions on other places to shop around at?

Also, anyone know what the Kawasaki FX series is popular on, like exmark, scags, etc.?

A_tank96

Threads
Kawasaki Fx's are an option on almost every commercial mower out there. Very popular engine and from what I have heard they are very reliable.