Why should I or Should I Not Buy This - CRAFTSMAN T210 Turn Tight 42" Mower

dougf4

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Why should I or Should I Not Buy This - CRAFTSMAN T210 Turn Tight 42" Mower
While trying to narrow down between the John Deere E110 and Cub Cadet Enduro LT1 in 42", this Lowes Craftsman Exclusive caught my eye based on Positive Reviews. I am pasting one particular review below that includes what that person thinks are superior components on the Craftsman at least in comparison to the Cub Cadet - both made by MTD. Don't know how it holds up against the JD Components. Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts from those much wiser than me in such things as I am close to making my final choice, hopefully this next week.

Link to Mower At Lowes

CRAFTSMAN T210 Turn Tight
Nice mower
  1. After doing a lot of research and looking at mowers this stood out as the best deal if the mower proves durable. Word of caution to those looking at similar Cub Cadet mowers...the XT1 mowers in this price range get a transmission rated for about 30% less axle torque than the Craftsman. The craftsman gets the venerable Tuff Torq K46, the Cubs a less powerful Tuff Torq TL-200. tranny. Engine wise the Kohler has good power but cranks a bit before starting when cold. When i do the first service i will install a better high energy spark plug and see if that helps, but it is after all a low emission (lean) carb engine so it may just be the nature of the beast. PLEASE check your deck levelness before the first mow!!!! Mine was so crooked I would have mowed slopes into my lawn. Not that hard to adjust, read the manual. I also set the deck to be exactly 4 inches at the 4 inch mark. Mows well, turns well and the deck wash thing seems to work if you remember to clean the deck after every mow. Don't let it build up and harden or you will have to remove the deck to scrape it off. Time will tell if its durable, but I feel it's the best deal in its price range right now. It looks pretty cool too with the brush guard!

Mower King

Threads
While trying to narrow down between the John Deere E110 and Cub Cadet Enduro LT1 in 42", this Lowes Craftsman Exclusive caught my eye based on Positive Reviews. I am pasting one particular review below that includes what that person thinks are superior components on the Craftsman at least in comparison to the Cub Cadet - both made by MTD. Don't know how it holds up against the JD Components. Anyway, I'd appreciate thoughts from those much wiser than me in such things as I am close to making my final choice, hopefully this next week.

Link to Mower At Lowes

CRAFTSMAN T210 Turn Tight
Nice mower
  1. After doing a lot of research and looking at mowers this stood out as the best deal if the mower proves durable. Word of caution to those looking at similar Cub Cadet mowers...the XT1 mowers in this price range get a transmission rated for about 30% less axle torque than the Craftsman. The craftsman gets the venerable Tuff Torq K46, the Cubs a less powerful Tuff Torq TL-200. tranny. Engine wise the Kohler has good power but cranks a bit before starting when cold. When i do the first service i will install a better high energy spark plug and see if that helps, but it is after all a low emission (lean) carb engine so it may just be the nature of the beast. PLEASE check your deck levelness before the first mow!!!! Mine was so crooked I would have mowed slopes into my lawn. Not that hard to adjust, read the manual. I also set the deck to be exactly 4 inches at the 4 inch mark. Mows well, turns well and the deck wash thing seems to work if you remember to clean the deck after every mow. Don't let it build up and harden or you will have to remove the deck to scrape it off. Time will tell if its durable, but I feel it's the best deal in its price range right now. It looks pretty cool too with the brush guard!
When buying a mower at a big box store.....where are you going to get it worked on if it needs a warranty repair? All the box stores around here DO NOT work on them. You should look into a mower dealership....it will pay off in the long run!

dougand3

Threads
I agree with dealership...if you can't wrench on it yourself. But we don't have any Craftsman dealers here, so big box is the only choice. K46 is good for entry level hydro...if you don't have many slopes or want to pull a heavy load.

Mower King

Threads
I agree with dealership...if you can't wrench on it yourself. But we don't have any Craftsman dealers here, so big box is the only choice. K46 is good for entry level hydro...if you don't have many slopes or want to pull a heavy load.
My point was...getting the warranty repair done if it needs it and is still in the warranty window. Not many wants to wrench on a mower if it's still under warranty.

dougf4

Forum Newbie
Threads
My point was...getting the warranty repair done if it needs it and is still in the warranty window. Not many wants to wrench on a mower if it's still under warranty.

Thanks for the warranty advice. Other than that, do you think based on the components used on the Craftsman that it may actually be a pretty decent machine compared to similarly priced John Deere's and Cub Cadet?

Mower King

Threads
Thanks for the warranty advice. Other than that, do you think based on the components used on the Craftsman that it may actually be a pretty decent machine compared to similarly priced John Deere's and Cub Cadet?
That's kinda a toss up but......IMHO, Craftsman has been on the lower side of the scale for quite a while.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sad to say but Craftsman brand is just about dead. Like others said, who will work on it. It will be throwing belts and the deck about to fall off in no time. Cub Cadet mowers are not what they used to be either. Both of those brands I call disposable. Hydro transmissions are expensive to repair/replace. Look elsewhere.

This is a superior alternative and will outlast you.

slomo

Mower King

Threads
Sad to say but Craftsman brand is just about dead. Like others said, who will work on it. It will be throwing belts and the deck about to fall off in no time. Cub Cadet mowers are not what they used to be either. Both of those brands I call disposable. Hydro transmissions are expensive to repair/replace. Look elsewhere.

This is a superior alternative and will outlast you.

slomo
Seems like I recall that at the last Kohler engine update that, they said Craftsman mowers are now built by MTD and wanted all Cub Cadet dealers to do warranty on them. I'm not saying MTD is the best thing out there but....it might be an improvement.

wrldtvlr

Threads
Seems like I recall that at the last Kohler engine update that, they said Craftsman mowers are now built by MTD and wanted all Cub Cadet dealers to do warranty on them. I'm not saying MTD is the best thing out there but....it might be an improvement.
The financial wiz that has been driving Sears into the ground sold the Craftsman brand to Stanley Black & Decker a few years ago. Stanley has MTD build the tractors and Husqvarna build the walk behinds.