White Smoke when I engage the PTO

cuz7878

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a brand new Cub cadet LT54 I believe and the other day when I was mowing, I would engage the PTO and white smoke starting to roll out from the left front of the tractor. I didn't change the oil from the last time I mowed until the most recent time so there wasn't any over spill of oil. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
run the engine for a few mutes, turn it off & wait a minute then remove the dip stick tube.
If you get smoke coming from the tube that is an indicator of a blown head gasket.

When you engage the PTO you put a big load on the engine so the throttle opens up fully and you get a full cylinder of fuel.
This means you get maximum pressure inside the cylinder and if there is somewhere for it to leak it will.
The excess air in the crankcase pushes a lot of oily crankcase fume through the breather into the carb then into the cylinder and oil burns with white smoke that comes out of the muffler.

cuz7878

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. Should I let it run for a few minutes with the PTO engaged? Actually the other day when I was trying to mow, it was running for quite a while. When I pulled the dip stick to check the oil no smoke came out

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually a leaking gasket will blow smoke.
It also will tend to make a much harsher sound the instant the throttle plate opens.
You can do this by pushing the governor shaft by hand.
Oft you get a bit of a knocking sound.

cuz7878

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I engage the PTO is sounds and runs very sluggish and then seems to run normal after a 5-10 seconds and then comes the smoke and then it gets worse as you run it longer with the PTO engaged

oldman570

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I engage the PTO is sounds and runs very sluggish and then seems to run normal after a 5-10 seconds and then comes the smoke and then it gets worse as you run it longer with the PTO engaged

This sounds as tho one of the bearings on a idler pulley or the deck is locking up when the PTO is engaged. This will cause the deck belt to slip on that pulley and cause the belt to smoke and smell like burning rubber. It could also be the electric clutch is bad and not spinning as it should. Have another person set on the tractor running and in neutral, with the rear wheels jacked off the ground, and have them engage the PTO while you look at all the pulleys and belt for where the belt is not turning a pulley. Check all the idler pulleys at the same time also. After shutting the tractor off , you can try to turn the pulley by hand to see if it is indeed locked up. It may be that the belt is on wrong and rubbing on the belt guides or the frame.

jack adams

Forum Newbie
Threads
When engine is start after a long time white smoke mostly came.
<deleted link>

Last edited by a moderator: