• Toro Recycler 22in. Personal Pace 7.0 190cc Briggs & Straton

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Toro Recycler 22in. Self propelled 6.75 149cc Kohler

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

Madmax3089

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I have two used Toro mowers, and would like to know which is a better overall, more dependable mower. Both are Toro, Self Propelled, 22inch Recyclers. One is a person pace, quick change, 7.0 190cc Briggs and Straton engine and from what I can tell by the serial # from 2010. The other a 6.75. 149cc Kohler from 2014. Both have side discharge chutes, and bags and the self propelled feature works. Obviously, one is 4 years newer, but it seems like the 7.0 190cc would be a more expensive/better mower? IDK. I’d appreciate your input and thoughts. Thanks.

Mower King

Threads
Hello, I have two used Toro mowers, and would like to know which is a better overall, more dependable mower. Both are Toro, Self Propelled, 22inch Recyclers. One is a person pace, quick change, 7.0 190cc Briggs and Straton engine and from what I can tell by the serial # from 2010. The other a 6.75. 149cc Kohler from 2014. Both have side discharge chutes, and bags and the self propelled feature works. Obviously, one is 4 years newer, but it seems like the 7.0 190cc would be a more expensive/better mower? IDK. I’d appreciate your input and thoughts. Thanks.
That's easy....the best one is the one that stays running and works / mows the best, since both are yours anyway!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd have to know more about the motors and the drive mechanisms to give an opinion. An I/C Briggs is a plus, the rubber tire transmission is a minus for example.

Madmax3089

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'd have to know more about the motors and the drive mechanisms to give an opinion. An I/C Briggs is a plus, the rubber tire transmission is a minus for example.
The Briggs is model # 20332 and serial # 310007137 and the Kohler is model # 20370 and serial #314040400. If that helps at all.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both mowers are on the cheap end of the Toro line. I’ve serviced them for most of my career and have never liked the units with the Kohler Engines. That being said I would discount the age and always select the unit with the Briggs engine.

Madmax3089

Forum Newbie
Threads
T
Both mowers are on the cheap end of the Toro line. I’ve serviced them for most of my career and have never liked the units with the Kohler Engines. That being said I would discount the age and always select the unit with the Briggs engine.
So, even though the Briggs is from 2010 and the Kohler is 2014. The Briggs is a overall better mower? In your opinion.

tipazann

Forum Newbie
Threads
We have a 22", personal pace, rear wheel drive, with the blade stop. The personal pace is the best feature in my opinion along with the smart stow. Pretty much walk and your own pace and mow with no effort and throw awesome mulching ability on top. Winner in my book.

Last edited:

Wazza65

Threads
I'm a Small Engine Mechanic and have worked extensively on both models and my recommendation would definitely be 7HP 190cc briggs version. The smaller Kohler version is also very good but I would choose the 190cc version. With 7HP your Engine will not be working as hard and that particular Briggs & Stratton has an Easy start system I think it is called and I have repaired many of them and rate them highly. My personal preference in brands from 40 years in the industry is Honda but they are quite expensive. Honda are extremely reliably and are pretty much the most reliable brand out there for easy starting. If just doing your own lawn, with the proper servicing Honda are as close to lifetime buy as you will get. Cheers.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a Personal Pace with the Briggs engine. The engine was fine and performed well. The drive system was terrible. I went through the original and replacement drives. I gave the blasted thing to a neighbor and bought a Snapper Ninja Commercial mower. That thing is 100% better than the Toros listed.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a Personal Pace with the Briggs engine. The engine was fine and performed well. The drive system was terrible. I went through the original and replacement drives. I gave the blasted thing to a neighbor and bought a Snapper Ninja Commercial mower. That thing is 100% better than the Toros listed.
Your grandchildren's kids will be mowing with that Snapper Commercial long after we are gone.

slomo