What model, type and year is my vintage craftsman????

MikeyTexas75

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / What model, type and year is my vintage craftsman????
Hello I bought a vintage riding mower from someone who lives down the street from me I do small engine repair for a living have my own business my neighbor down the road had a vintage riding mower for sale which appear to be a John Deere after closer inspection I realized it was a Craftsman and I bought it I am trying to figure out what make model type and year this mower is can you help me please thank you

Attachments

• 20221110_021433.jpg
    20221110_021433.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 21

shadetree#1

Threads
  • / What model, type and year is my vintage craftsman????
Wow:
Some of them are really good tractors.
Should be a metal tag on that one somewhere.
Look carefully around the rear hitch area.
Wonder if it's been painted over the tag.

You might also try going to this site, registering and then from this link scroll down slow to lawn and garden tractors by brand and select Sears, Craftsman and post.
One that old was actually made by someone else and Sears BRANDED it as SEARS or Craftsman. Most likely Sears.
If you find a model number the first three numbers in the model number is a hint as to actually made the rig for Sears. You can find this cross reference info on-line also.
I suspect that is a Sears suburban tractor SS 8 or 16 the 8 or 16 refers to the difference is transaxles/speeds. I have a SS16 with the OEM Briggs twin that is a really good machine that looks similar and is a bullet proof machine, very reliable.
Most were a silver and gray but several other colors when they first came out. I think the model tag on mine is on the rear hitch are as a metal or aluminum tag.
Try looking at Sears Suburban's pictures on-line. for example here is some https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...ZwgWafgmjTQhzgefBap5mcf8X23a/jVK6CpV9ABspPt4= There is some forums on-line just for Sears Suburban's.
Them rigs used several different engines, Briggs, Tecumseh and not user friendly to re-power now days with a later model horizontal engine but worth the effort if the transaxle is good. The transaxle/transmission is usually bullet proof if not frozen and busted. You need to make sure no water is in the transaxle. Water get's in by the shift lever if the lever is like a regular tractor. I put a homemade plastic cup umbrella on my shifter to shed the water. To check for water just crack loose the drain plug after it's not been used for about week and the water will be on the bottom or if the 80.90W is milky it has water contamination.
The transaxle is re-buildable and several other machines used the same transaxle, JD212 and maybe a JD110 plus other sears models.
Some are two speed transaxles.

Last edited: