What battery size? 1U is too big.

Richie F

Threads
Picked up a Yard Machine that needs work.
The only info I found was a sticker, not on the underside of the seat, but where the battery drops in.
Sticker info:
MTD lot# 131 model# 650G0007
Date E 11-88 (5-11-88)
I picked up a 1U battery and it's bigger than the battery tray.
Measured the tray L 7 1/2" x W 3 1/2" x H 5" (?)
Can't find any info on this group size battery.
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
See if you can find a 12n14-3a at auto parts stores, walmart, ect and check the dimensions.

Richie F

Threads

Richie F

Threads
I know that the more CCA a battery it has is better for cold weather.
But what would be the norm for equipment that only starts in warm weather ?
The link given is for 210 CCA, I just bought one that has 180 CCA.
It has free returns if I have to do it. Also the link for it is NY,NY. I live on Long Island so I should get it quicker that Calf. from the helpful link given.

keakar

Threads
I know that the more CCA a battery it has is better for cold weather.
But what would be the norm for equipment that only starts in warm weather ?
The link given is for 210 CCA, I just bought one that has 180 CCA.
It has free returns if I have to do it. Also the link for it is NY,NY. I live on Long Island so I should get it quicker that Calf. from the helpful link given.
they call it cold cranking amps but its not as much about the cold, as it is the amperage power it has, but yes cold weather is when you need those amps most but who needs a lawnmower when its cold outside lol

the better the cca the more reserve power you have if its hard to start or whatever that you dont run out of power

some people get all excited about the specs saying its not rated for lawn mowers but a motorcycle engine takes a lot more power to turn over then a lawn mower engine so a motorcycle battery is the best and cheapest replacement for those new small batteries they are using

Richie F

Threads
I would like to see what the specs are for a 4 cylinder motorcycle using this group size battery.
I do agree a 12hp briggs needs less to spin it over than a 90hp (or more) motorcycle engine.
As a side note:
Harbor Freight makes a battery tender that works well for the money.
My friend has 3 of them to maintain the batteries on his three motorcycles.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to set things strait here
A 4 cylinder 1000cc motorcycle is easier to start than a 2 cylinder lawnmower.
A starter has to overcome the compression of the engine and only 1 cylinder is being compressed at any one time.
A 4 cylinder engine fires twice every revolution a 2 cylinder engine only fires once so in theory the 4 cylinder should start faster .
The Hp of a engine does not determine how easy or hard it is to start,
Then there is the cranking ratio which is generally very low on motorcycles because the starter motors are quite low powered,
CCA ia the maximum number of amps the battery can release if you short circuited the terminals.
It is the dffference between the spannar you dropped on the terminals getting hot or melting
AH is the amount of energy stored in the battery .
A motorcycle battery can be used on a mower, in fact a large number of them were fitted with motorcycle batteries from new back in the side valve days.
The important thing is to make sure you get a battery that is PVR & AGM or it will not last very long.

Richie F

Threads
A starter has to overcome the compression of the engine and only 1 cylinder is being compressed at any one time.
A 4 cylinder engine fires twice every revolution a 2 cylinder engine only fires once so in theory the 4 cylinder should start faster .

I have to say working on many types of engines, if a 1 cylinder 4 cycle with a compression of 90 psi would be a lot easier to start that a 4 cylinder engine with equal or more compression.
I would think the bigger engine would have a gear reduction drive starter also, which would make starter draw less.
A 12hp Briggs is a 1 cylinder engine also.
Compression release on a lawn mower engine helps for starter draw also.

keakar

Threads
Then there is the cranking ratio which is generally very low on motorcycles because the starter motors are quite low powered,
CCA ia the maximum number of amps the battery can release if you short circuited the terminals.
It is the dffference between the spannar you dropped on the terminals getting hot or melting
AH is the amount of energy stored in the battery .
A motorcycle battery can be used on a mower, in fact a large number of them were fitted with motorcycle batteries from new back in the side valve days.
The important thing is to make sure you get a battery that is PVR & AGM or it will not last very long.
you are forgetting the compression release on lawn mowers

if there was no compression release then your data is correct, but with the compression release the force needed to start a lawnmower is like nothing

not having to overcome the compression is why its easy and takes far less power to start a lawn mower vs a motorcycle which has to do it without compression release