Wanted: Heavy-duty push mower that bags well.

Old Doug

Forum Newbie
Threads
There's an apparently very good Toro dealer near me, and given the changes in ownership for Snapper, and Honda leaving the U.S. lawn mower market next year, I'm looking hard at Toro.

Ideally - no self propulsion, just a basic, tough, well-made push lawn mower that fills the grass clipping bag like a champ. I'd hope the deck design and blade choice, 'high-lift' or otherwise, would all work toward that; I don't need or want a mulching blade nor mower mulching function.

My tentative choice thus far is a Toro model 22289, in their commercial line. 21" cut, "Heavy Duty Zone Start Toro OHV Push." I've got about half an acre of grass at home, but if I get all my work done, I may go cut other people's stuff for free, taking the clippings and mulching my flowers with them.

Expensive(!) - yes - I saw a price of $1200, and that was 3 years ago. :oops: That's okay with me.

Fairly heavy - 92 lbs/42 kg - that's also okay; I want to work. Aluminum alloy 'Recycler' cutting deck - said to cut the grass blades up fine. If they go in the bag, cool.

One big question I have is the motor - "Toro OHV 159cc." My gut feeling is to prefer a Honda or Kohler engine - and some of Toro's walk-behinds in their homeowner line have them, I'm guessing decent mowers at substantially less money. That said, if there really is a "best" here, that's what I want.

All comments, suggestions, criticisms, etc., are welcomed.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Old Doug

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, Mark. From what I've read, 'Toro' engines are made by Loncin, in China, and are generally well thought of.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
my Toro has a Briggs engine on it. Basic self propelled version. Rear wheel drive so doesn't lift when pushed as people tend to push down and forward. Bags well if one keeps the bag clean. Let it build up with wet grass and dry on the inside and it loses quite a bit of bagging ability but I would think most do. As for a non-propelled 21" version being used as a commercial mower. I doubt there is much sanity or sincerity in that. And as to $1200, maybe with shipping around the world. You can buy 2 or 3 Toro 21" mowers for that price. A basic 21" Toro walk behind with Briggs engine is $339 at HD.

Old Doug

Forum Newbie
Threads
my Toro has a Briggs engine on it. Basic self propelled version. Rear wheel drive so doesn't lift when pushed as people tend to push down and forward. Bags well if one keeps the bag clean. Let it build up with wet grass and dry on the inside and it loses quite a bit of bagging ability but I would think most do. As for a non-propelled 21" version being used as a commercial mower. I doubt there is much sanity or sincerity in that. And as to $1200, maybe with shipping around the world. You can buy 2 or 3 Toro 21" mowers for that price. A basic 21" Toro walk behind with Briggs engine is $339 at HD.
Thanks for the reply; good comments. I hear you on keeping the bag clean - no doubt about it.

I talked to my nearest commercial Toro dealer this morning. They were surprised at my inquiry about a non-propelled mower, and that I'd seen one at the Toro website. In fact, it's not available anymore; the website has not been updated. The choices now for 21" walk-behinds are all self-propelled, and come with Honda or Kawasaki engines.

The dealer only orders them with a blade clutch/brake. While Toro does offer them without one, the dealer said "everybody wants it," and it makes little percentage price difference. It's also been hard to get stock - they said that they've only been getting about 60% of the mowers they order. And it's not like the consumer can order one from the factory through a dealership - the dealer said they (Toro) just plain don't do that anymore.

I certainly don't claim an overabundance of sanity, but I was sincere about non-propelled. In a perfect world I'd have a 25" cut mower that would likely weigh 140 lbs or 65 kg, and it would (obviously) be a workout. From what I can tell, the reality is that with Honda exiting the North American market for mower sales, Toro is pretty much it for small commercial-type (or just 'heavy-duty') mowers. 21" and then it jumps right to 30" cuts. The Exmark mowers may vary a little in features, but Exmark is owned by Toro and the mowers are substantially the same.

The three-years-ago $1200 price appears to be accurate, and you are correct about being able to get 2 or 3 (or even 4 or 5) homeowner-line 21" or 22" cut mowers for the same price. Which is now substantially above $1200. 😐😄

I'll find out - picking up one with a Honda engine, Toro model #22296, tomorrow.

Old Doug

Forum Newbie
Threads
able to get 2 or 3 (or even 4 or 5) homeowner-line 21" or 22" cut mowers for the same price.
Or even 6 or 7. :eek: It's like a fairly expensive ribeye steak. 121 lbs and $17.52 per lb, out the door. It sounds really good...

Attachments

• ToroMower.jpg
    ToroMower.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 5