Walk behind mower with fuel valve question?

Rickcin

Threads
I just purchased a Honda 21 inch walk behind mower and it has a valve on the fuel line.
I believe this is used to allow the engine to use all of the fuel in the carburetor so it’s dry when storing it for the winter.

Is there any other time this valve is useful to use for any other reason?

bogdaN

Threads
When your mower carb,start leaking fuel and you do not want spend money for repair---just use that valve.Dan

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lots of engines that have gravity fed carbs come std with a shut off valve.
It is prudent to use them every time you finish mowing.
No real need to run the carb dry as you would at the end of the season, but shutting off the fuel does prevent the carb leaking into the engine when not in use .

Rickcin

Threads
Lots of engines that have gravity fed carbs come std with a shut off valve.
It is prudent to use them every time you finish mowing.
No real need to run the carb dry as you would at the end of the season, but shutting off the fuel does prevent the carb leaking into the engine when not in use .
Interesting, I never had one on a mower before but do have one on my Honda snowblower. Thanks for the info❗

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The bulk of the B & S engines on walk behinds had a fuel tank lower than the carb so it was not needed.
But nearly all other equipment with a tank above the carb was fitted with a tap.
Down here overhead tanks were the norm so every mower had a tap , either at the outlet or as Honda does as part of the carb .
In theory the float should stop gravity doing its worst but in reality most will eventually leak and theory is not going to come to your place & fix your mower for free.
I fit a tap to every mower, push or ride on that passes through the workshop, if for no other reason than it makes it quicker & cleaner to replace filters & clean the carbs.

Rickcin

Threads
The bulk of the B & S engines on walk behinds had a fuel tank lower than the carb so it was not needed.
But nearly all other equipment with a tank above the carb was fitted with a tap.
Down here overhead tanks were the norm so every mower had a tap , either at the outlet or as Honda does as part of the carb .
In theory the float should stop gravity doing its worst but in reality most will eventually leak and theory is not going to come to your place & fix your mower for free.
I fit a tap to every mower, push or ride on that passes through the workshop, if for no other reason than it makes it quicker & cleaner to replace filters & clean the carbs.
Interesting, great information thanks! So now I’m wishing my CC lawn tractor had one which would probably be beneficial when storing it for the winter to drain the carb.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They cost about $ 5
But buy it from a mower or boat shop & not on line
99% of the ones on Amazon & ebay have neoprene valve rubbers in them so will go to mush & block the fuel lines plus clag up the carb after a while.
The ones from mower shops are proper fuel tanks fitted with Buytl rubber which is fuel proof .