Voltage Regulator?

sneakyben

Threads
Long time reader and 1st time question. I think my voltage regulator is or is going bad. My battery is not charging. It is actually the 2nd battery I have bought this year.
All connections are good and clean. I can't find the part number I need. I have both the engine manual as well as the mower manual and it is not shown or listed.
It is a Troybilt model 13BZ609H03 with a 25hp Intek engine. I see regulators listed up to 24hp but not 25. Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance!--- Ben

Bertrrr

Threads
There is a good video on U tube that shows how to test it
If memory serves - the wires off the magneto under the flywheel should read close to 30-40 volts,
off the voltage regulator something like 14-20 if I can find the link I'll post

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
At the battery
Check voltage engine off
Check voltage engine running
Check voltage engine running & PTO engaged
Both of the latter must be between 13 & 15 volts
Flick the multimeter to AC and do the last 2 tests + terminal to ground
If you get a reading higher than before then the rectifier has failed and is sending AC to the battery which will not charge ir and actually damage it .
\There is a book called the "Briggs & Stratton Repower Guide "
All over the web which describes how to test the various alternator & rectifiers combinations.
Alternators & rectifiers are listed by their output, not the mowers HP so you get a 5A, 10A 15 A 20 A system etc \
All B & S alternators & stators will fit just about all B & S engines
Mowers with an electric PTO will usually have a 15A system or higher capacity
Cheap engine will have he "duel Circuit" that just has a simple diode in the recharging wire .

sneakyben

Threads
Thanks for the help guys. I will say I'm not much at the electrical side of anything. I don't even own a meter. I use a sniffer and a simple light at home when messing with basic electricity. Otherwise I just shut the power off. Reading, it did seem like the regulator/rectifier was my best chance to fix and it didn't seem costly. I don't have a trailer to load it up and take to anyone so I'm kinda on my own. I will buy a meter and see where that goes, plus keep the battery on a charger. It runs fine until the battery drains, then it won't start again.

sneakyben

Threads
Well, bought a meter. Everything was dead. Took everything apart and the 2 black wires were cut. I had the motor replaced late last fall and it looks like the regulator wasn't hooked up. Neither was the oil pressure wire.. (That's what it looks like to me anyway) I cannot find where the wires hook to. It has to be in one of the cable wraps. I cannot find the diagram I neeed to go much further. The guy who put it together hopefully will be by in a day or 2. I have been using a battery pack to boost it off to mow, so all is still ok with that. I appreciate all your help, but it was head scratching to find everything dead!