Vanguard 7.5 ignition coil help

Blownvette

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have a near new (very low hours) 1997 Vanguard 7.5 in a Ryan Lawnaire 28 aerator.

Starts early on first pull. Dies when hot.

Replaced all fuel lines, fuel line cutoff valve, new Briggs and Stratton carb, new spark plug, changed oil, new Briggs pre filter and air filter. Think it’s the ignition coil but can’t fine a new one other than the cheap eBay types…

Any one have any ideas or sources for a Briggs coil? 715982 is the part number of the coil. All the places listing it as available don’t have it in stock and Briggs is sold out. Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Might try getting an aftermarket one through Amazon. USA price and delivery time out of China.

1668335348298.png

Blownvette

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for pointing that out. Really want to avoid non Briggs parts if possible. I searched on the forum and it was mentioned about sanding the coil and it being a problem on the Vanguard engines? Has anyone had any experience with the grounding issue and sanding to clear the warm engine cutoff issue?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I too prefer to stick with OEM most times but Briggs is really dragging their feet on parts lately. We have been fighting for the last two years with one particular camshaft delivery issue it taking up to 6 month or better just to get them.

I even got an under one year Poulan Pole saw that I can't even get a throttle cable until after maybe March 2023. Doesn't do any good when the customer needs the saw now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly B & S make absolutely nothing
like most modern companies run by MBA's they sold off all of the manufacturing divisions in favour of buying in everything and just assembling engines. Thus they can drive down the cost of each item by competative tenders .
The reason why there are so many Chinese B & S parts is because just about all of the parts are made in China
The only benefit of purchasing B & S branded parts is you can be 90% sure the parts have been through a thorough QC regeime so they should be good .
I buy parts directly from the manufacturers in China via "made in china" and am yet to get a dud part out of well over a thousand parts purchased .
The demand for old parts is very low and from an accounting point of view, buying a minimum economic orders worth of your magnetos knowing that the demand is less than 100 / year and the minimum economic quantity is 1000 means it is considered bad use of capital so B & S will not do it when the same money spent on new engine parts will yield a better return in a shorter time .
B & S are not alone in this
a lot of brand names will not order old parts till they have accumulated 30% to 50% of a minimum economic order quantity on back order thus if they order 1000 of your magnetos they can be sure that 500 will sell in the first week which would just about return the cost .
Again a management theory out of Princeton University taught to all MBA graduates world wide ( yes Aust companies do the same thing too ).
So don't expect the new mean, lean & financially prudent B & S to carry parts for engines that are older than the previous series ie, current model & it's predessor only after that they want you to buy a new engine.
Remember B & S make their money from selling new engines to mower manufacturers not from selling retail customers engines or parts , that division looses money which is why you can not get much in the way of parts for any cheap import from any country because supplying service & repair parts LOOSES money despite what all the braindead morons on Face Ache , Twatter & You Boob espouse .
Finally rust on a coils laminations has zero effect on it unless it is between the laminations & the ground contact or it gets thick enough to bridge the gap between the laminations & the magnet.
The use of any mechanical device to clean the surface of a magnet actually decreases the strength of the magnet so wire brushes are a no no

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, you pretty got it. The problem with Briggs right is that they had file bankruptcy and was snatched up by a financial investment group that only cares about making top dollar on everything thing. Customer loyalty went right out the door when they took over Briggs.

I got Nikki fuel bowls here that was sold for under $30 to dealers before all this happen and they now cost around $120 ea and for a while they were the same price as a complete carburetor. Nearly everything Briggs sales now is over priced. I am having to buy Briggs after market parts now because the OEM parts are out sight price wise.

On top this it is becoming impossible to get parts most of the imported stuff as the factories in China tends to disappear after a major run of making an item.

Plus I have lost two Briggs distributors as they demand more in sales than I could per because of the over priced parts and engines.

I am even name brand OEM equipment becoming throw a way lately too I got current a Poulan polesaw in the shop now that is less one year and can't even get a throttle cable for it. It is about the same with a Stihl brush cutter that I need a drive cable for. It has been on back order for now 8 months. I finally cancelled the order Friday as I found an used Stihl with the right cable that has a bad engine. I also had Chinese kids ATV in the shop back in the Spring that was 6 months old that I could not get parts for yet the local dealer was still selling new ones.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This management philosophy was in place well before the B & S bankruptcy & is the norm for most large public companies .
B & S engine parts have been underpriced for decades Kawasaki & Kohler prices are actually reasonable but people call them expensive because they get compared to the very cheap B & S parts.
Back when B & S had better than 1/2 of the market there was probably enough profits from new engine sales to subsidize spare parts and cheaper spares was a selling point so there was strong demand for mowers that had the B & S engines fitted .
Now B &S are a small bit player and their volumes are reducing every year
Remember no sales at all to MTD almost non to Toro & the bottom end cheap engine in the Husqvarna range replacing Tecumseh .
Their big mistake was being out foxed by MTD when they took over Murray to abandoned mower manufacture which increased the volumes and power of AYP & MTD , had they kept Murray production going then their would have been a big enough volume to maintain profitable levels of production but without Murray & MTD B& S is doomed to become a low volume small bit player supplying engines only to their own brands and a small number to other makers who want to wave the Stars & Stripes by selling an "All American" to that small percentage of the population that have a flagpole in their front yard
The dominant management plan in Western businesses is to flog off flashy looking low service life products with as little after sales support as possible and governments have been encouraging this for decades
The EU tried to bring in manditory service life and the result was locally made products being abandoned in favour of imports that did not have the same provisions applied to them .
This is the 2nd big reason why the planet is in the situation we are in now .
There needs to be a lot less manufacture for replacement os short life products if we want to survive but that is a hard message to sell a product by.
Purchase our new 20 year service life lawnmower so the planet will survive for your great grandchildren
or
Purchase this wizz bang new mower for 30% less than those 20 year mowers
We all know what wins

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remember no sales at all to MTD almost non to Toro & the bottom end cheap engine in the Husqvarna range replacing Tecumseh .
Their big mistake was being out foxed by MTD when they took over Murray to abandoned mower manufacture which increased the volumes and power of AYP & MTD , had they kept Murray production going then their would have been a big enough volume to maintain profitable levels of production but without Murray & MTD B& S is doomed to become a low volume small bit player supplying engines only to their own brands and a small number to other makers who want to wave the Stars & Stripes by selling an "All American" to that small percentage of the population that have a flagpole in their front yard
The Murray thing was complicated. It wasn't by choice to stop production of Murray. Briggs was barred from using the Murray name for 5 years as part of the bankruptcy agreement. Production of the Murray products became Brute Power Products and was still continuing under that same until recently. One of the big mistakes Briggs made was farming out those brand names to other companies for productions. In 2010 with Murray name back on the market they were manufactured by MTD and AYP using Briggs engines by contract agreement and later to a Chinese company with no product support. What really put Briggs in the doghouse was MTD stopped using Briggs engines for a period after the Murray bankruptcy. and started their own import branded engine that same year.

Murray was a slightly larger company than MTD which both of them combined wasn't even a spot on the radar for AYP. Back when MTD, Murray, and AYP were servicing Walmart. MTD and Murray has basically 13 states each east of the Mississippi River. AYP had the other 24 states West of the Mississippi(numbers not exact) and that was only 5% of AYP annual production. A much larger portion of AYP production went to Craftsman and we all know how that ended.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
While the Murray branded products were banned Murray made a lot of other brands
Down here Murray made the ride ons for Victa , Rover, Pace , Parklander , Stihl and several local store brands .
Murray also made a lot of brands sold in the EU some of which are also imported into Australia & of course some of the Craftsman branded mowers.
And Sentinal was also supposedly an independent brand made for Sentinal by Murray and we got a lot of Murray Sentinals ( painted black ) and almost identical Sentinals by Murray painted red
Most of these brands continued by sourcing mowers from China , while Stihl seemed to drop the mower line all together.
What my rep told me was MTD told B &S that they would stop using any B & S engine if they continued running the Murray factory which was of course was in direct competition to MTD particular for manufacture of other branded mowers.
Weather that was the absolute truth is another question but that is what I was told

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only true statement that can be confirmed is MTD did stop using Briggs engines on their products for a period of time. There have been so many shutdowns and sales of so many mower and mower parts manufacturers the last few years it is hard to keep them all straight.