Updated HRC216 coming?

Skeezix

Forum Newbie
Threads
It seems like the HRC line hasn't been touched/updated in quite sometime (anyone when when it was last refreshed??)
It would appear the HRX and HRN series have both been revamped in the last year or two - the HRN much more so than the HRX.
Anyone have any idea if the HRC will get an update soon?
I'd love see an aluminum deck and a slightly larger engine.

Thanks,
-Skeezix

dfbrown

Threads
Original was 1989-1995. Then k1 was 1996-2004. K2 2005-2007 current k3 2008 until now as we speak. I have owned and still do a lot of hondas hrc commercial mowers and others. I hope they do soon. Doesn't really need it but would be cool with all new bigger motor and 1 gallon fuel tank and some other small updates. Fantastic mowers just a little heavy but extremely durable

dfbrown

Threads
Btw the k2 and k3 models are basically the same except k2 has plastic engine cover. Other then that same thing. Motor handlebars deck wheels transmission etc. I also would be suprised a newer hrx soon. That deck has been same since 2004. Honda waits literally 20 years to change stuff sometimes. Look at there past history.

Skeezix

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ah - thank you for this excellent information!
Sounds like we shouldn't expect anything new in the HRC line anytime soon (dang it!)
My HRX217 has been a great mower, but after 10 years, it's begning to show it's age.
The newer Kubota WGC6-21" looks like a nice mower and is in the running, but I like Honda's cruise control better!

dfbrown

Threads
I like kubota stuff also but there newer 21” mower is made by a company i believe called eastman. Basically this company makes a mower and sold it to bobcat, gravely kubota and years ago john Deere also for a replacement of the John Deere jx75/85. Was discontinted fast. My opinion is look at them carefully in person. They are not on the level of a Honda or even a toro heavy duty 21” commercial. Snapper definitely isn’t either. None of those are bad mowers by any means there good. For me Honda made in swepsonville nc. Toro made in Mexico with Kawasaki engine (china). I had many toro 21” commercials. Oh yeah and out of all those above I mentioned the Monday even retail is 2-300 dollars cheaper. Btw the old kubotas 21” commercials from the 1990s were real good. not as much a fan of the new ones but still decent. I’ve owned them all at one point or another. Lawn boy, toro, kubota, snapper, Honda. Any questions let me know. Good luck.

TerraForte

Threads
I'm doubtful.
I'm not sure of Honda's stance in the power equipment market.

They make fantastic products, but I'm sure the mowers and trimmers are a pathetic portion of their global sales compared to cars, motorcycles, etc.
Lots of companies go at seemingly odd times. Kawasaki made some of the best handheld tools ever, and they decided to leave
Kawasaki made trimmers, blowers, hedge trimmers, and maybe even chainsaws.
They pulled out of those areas while remaining strong with their larger commercial motors. Mostly selling them to other companies to use on their products.
It's possible they did not meet emissions criteria or something.

For some reason, Honda stopped making their larger mowers. They used to make fantastic lawn tractors and actual commercial walk behind mowers. Not anymore.
And a lot of lawn guys prefer the Toro/Exmark 21s for some reason.

I believe gasoline powered lawn equipment has its days numbered. Sooner or later the EPA will require even lawn mowers to have catalytic converters, and it probably won't be worth it.
That's when Honda will throw in the towel and either only sell electric tools, or pull out entirely.

No point in updating the HRC line if the EPA is going to ban your stuff in 5 years.

dfbrown

Threads
I'm doubtful.

They make fantastic products, but I'm sure the mowers and trimmers are a pathetic portion of their global sales compared to cars, motorcycles, etc.
Lots of companies go at seemingly odd times. Kawasaki made some of the best handheld tools ever, and they decided to leave
They pulled out of those areas while remaining strong with their larger commercial motors. Mostly selling them to other companies to use on their products.

For some reason, Honda stopped making their larger mowers. They used to make fantastic lawn tractors and actual commercial walk behind mowers. Not anymore.

I believe gasoline powered lawn equipment has its days numbered. Sooner or later the EPA will require even lawn mowers to have catalytic converters, and it probably won't be worth it.
That's when Honda will throw in the towel and either only sell electric tools, or pull out entirely.

No point in updating the HRC line if the EPA is going to ban your stuff in 5 years.
Honda has never made fast changes. Hrc216 can run 15 years and no change. Has 2 stage snow blowers were basically same for 20 plus. There current trimmers since 2002 and 2005. Virtually no changes. Hrx217 deck and mower besides engines is same since 2004 basically. I can go on all day. Tractors left market and made in Japan and the US dollar and yen got worst plus the expense of those units. Plus the zero turn market took off too. Keep in mind that they just put 46 million dollar expansion down in swepsonville North Carolina planet. Doubt there getting out of power equipment manufacturing anytime soon. Honda in USA my guess would be the LAST company to go electric. Could happen a few years from now but . I had a hrc7113txa 48” walk behind. Bunton design gear drive. Good machine. Overbuilt. Again 5 grand 20 years ago and a gravely was 3 grand.My person opinion is we live in a throw away society and everyone is making throw away junk. So if a mihindra tractor is spaced like say a Honda and it’s 13 grand. A Honda way over built and made in USA or say japan would be 18 grand and no one unless your buy real quality stuff or love Honda is gonna buy it. Even though it’s better in every way just nobody spends the money for earl real good stuff. airens snow blower with China built engine is say $1200. A Honda equivel is $2,500 and all made in America and built so much better. It’s a 35 year machine. But many buy the sirens because it’s cheep.
hondas lowered price point units still beat anything out there. Great stuff and they are always so concerned about quality reliability and durability. That’s who they are and why some people myself included will buy it no matter what. Just great stuff.

as for Kawasaki I get what your saying. I live in a busy area with lots of dealers and never saw kawasaki hand held stuff. Nobody carried it and support probably sucked. So it died a slow painful death. Echo and stihl are king around even a 200 mile range. Husky is rare but dealer support sucks.

Skeezix

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm doubtful.

I see what you are saying about the direction things are going, but it will be a cold day in hell when there are no gas powered mowers left. They are here to stay with the possible exception of 2 cycle engines. However, even two cycles have become very emission conscience (look at Stihl for example). I can't speak about Honda riding mowers as I've not owned one, but Honda's entire line of product are deeply integrated into their proprietary manufacturing. To see that all disappear sees highly unlikely. The new HRN line isn't my cup of tea, but the costs associated with a new line like that alone must have been massive.

Over the last few years we've seen an updated HRX line, and just last year the entirely new HRN line. I would think that after 10-12 years the HRC line would be due for an update.