UPDATE - 2021 Bad Boy Maverick - "MISSING" HYDRAULIC RESERVOIRS

BuddyLA

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / UPDATE - 2021 Bad Boy Maverick - "MISSING" HYDRAULIC RESERVOIRS
UPDATE - The newer, 2021 and newer DONOT have reservoirs for the Hydraulic Fluids - the fill area is a plug on top of the TRANSAXLE. So if you need to change the oil the same procedure apply except for the fill tanks as described on the picture below whereas you use the "Fill Port" to pour the fresh oil.

2021 Bad Boy 54" Maverick with Kohler Engine - 9/21 Purchase

Has anyone else had this issue. Apparently I am missing KEY components from my mower and had no idea until yesterday.

I had my mechanic come and do the 50 hour Hydraulic Maintenance which requires changing the filters, draining the Hydraulic fluids and then replenishing. I have had my mower almost a year and have had no issues except for routine maintenance, even the dealer had not noticed this until now.

Upon inspecting the mower and trying to locate the reservoirs we both came to the unbelievable reality that the Manufacturer never installed the reservoirs, which there are two on either side. So my question is this - obviously the reservoirs need to be installed but the real concern is the shape and abuse of the Hydraulic system over the past year with only the fluid that was in the gear boxes originally. Should these also be replaced or will they be OK? These are Major lubricating components that are missing and most likely would have worn the gear without the proper lubrication needed.

Thanks for input - the picture shows where the reservoirs are supposed to be - MINE ARE MISSING!

Attachments

• 68278575950__50061068-DD5B-47D4-8AE3-00786133E15A.JPG.jpeg
    68278575950__50061068-DD5B-47D4-8AE3-00786133E15A.JPG.jpeg
    227.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Many homer owners ZTR run the ZT2800 and ZT3100 series as sealed units without problems and the ZT3200 is basically the same transaxle.

BuddyLA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many homer owners ZTR run the ZT2800 and ZT3100 series as sealed units without problems and the ZT3200 is basically the same transaxle.
Thanks for the info - so does that mean the transaxle fluid does not need to be changed or they are service normally and rather filled from the top?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They come in a variety of variations according to the mower factories specs
There are 2 fill ports on the hydro and the breather makes 3 ( easy to break )
Down side is the units have to come out to get to them unless BB have put an access hole in the floor .

Lawn Addict
Threads
My 2021 Scag Liberty has none either, I noticed that prior to purchase last year.. Questioned my Dealer, he said it was new design to avoid possible plumbing leaks.. (whatever). Then I called Hydro-Gear & they confirmed the same.

Mine runs super. And I have easy access big holes thru the floor. I get to 50+ hours, I will be servicing my HG 2800s' here to get her off to good start.. Combo of both will still till take 1 gallon & about 1/3 to 1/2 qt.. Plenty of oil. Definitely serviceable & require it being done @ proper intervals.

And having the "breather" on top of each unit shows it was not meant for external reservoirs.. My Top fill port & side fluid level port are easily accessible... Don't worry, be happy.

I have 5 year warranty.. Your Owners manual should describe the Breathers & fill plugs w/pics..

Long time 1 year of use & ownership & not realizing this.. PS: Check the engine oil before each use,..

Last edited:

BuddyLA

Forum Newbie
Threads
My 2021 Scag Liberty has none either, I noticed that prior to purchase last year.. Questioned my Dealer, he said it was new design to avoid possible plumbing leaks.. (whatever). Then I called Hydro-Gear & they confirmed the same.

Mine runs super. And I have easy access big holes thru the floor. I get to 50+ hours, I will be servicing my HG 2800s' here to get her off to good start.. Combo of both will still till take 1 gallon & about 1/3 to 1/2 qt.. Plenty of oil. Definitely serviceable & require it being done @ proper intervals.

And having the "breather" on top of each unit shows it was not meant for external reservoirs.. My Top fill port & side fluid level port are easily accessible... Don't worry, be happy.

I have 5 year warranty.. Your Owners manual should describe the Breathers & fill plugs w/pics..

Long time 1 year of use & ownership & not realizing this.. PS: Check the engine oil before each use,..

BuddyLA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Good Luck to you!

Gil

Threads
Apparently, Bad Boy has decided not to add fluid reservoirs and plumbing for their updated Maverick. You can certainly add them if you like. Look at the 2022 Maverick parts list. There ARE NO RESERVOIRS on the Maverick.
Purchased 2021 Elite with Kawasaki engine. It has no reservoirs for hydraulics, but they are to be serviced with oil and filter changes as per owners manual. Learned after purchase that an "after market reservoir kit" is available for approximately $150. It has two tanks, one for each side. I prefer to easily see the "full/add" marks, thus I purchased and installed. But told Bad Boy and the dealer that it should have been part of the original package. Guess I am of the old school,as I don't like sealed systems in most cases. Had too many failed bearing,etc on "sealed systems" and being told it was an improvement. ????
Regards, Gil

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Reported