Buying Advice Ultima ZT2 - anyone have one? Thoughts?

mikec35

Threads
I'm thinking of getting a ZT2 for my 1.5 acre yard. I have a lot of trees and obstacles plus some roots on top of the ground (one of them took out my Husqvarna RZ4219 deck with no front rollers.) I also have a ton of leaves that fall late in the year and watching a few videos online it looks like these mowers do a good job of cutting up the leaves. The models seem like heavy duty home owners units. I like the Kawasaki engine, high lift deck, serviceable 2800 trans pumps, larger tires, seat with arm rests, tow hitch, lights... all at about $3600-$3800 depending on whether you get the 50" or 54" deck. Does anyone know of a better deal for the money? Any reasons to steer clear from this model? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

pr0jekt_cha0s

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe the ZT2 is easily the best bang for the buck. It's built well and looks good. Has the ZT-2800's and the larger Kawi. I think ZTR's are fairly simple mowers and as long as you buy from a dealer close by the you can trust, you can't go wrong with it. I wish there was a ZT3 with ZT-3100's in it.

mikec35

Threads
I believe the ZT2 is easily the best bang for the buck. It's built well and looks good. Has the ZT-2800's and the larger Kawi. I think ZTR's are fairly simple mowers and as long as you buy from a dealer close by the you can trust, you can't go wrong with it. I wish there was a ZT3 with ZT-3100's in it.

Thanks, I ended up buying the 50" ZT2 and so far I really like it. It cuts well, is sturdy, 23 hp Kawi is quieter than my Husqvarna's 19.5 Briggs, and it's comfortable to ride. So much more mower than my RZ4219. I called a few dealers and many were out of stock, they said this new model is selling out.

pr0jekt_cha0s

Forum Newbie
Threads
Congratulations!! They are selling out fast around here too. Dealers are having problems keeping them in stock. Keep us up to date on how it runs. I'll be interested.

wizard4878

Threads
Personally I would go with a riding tractor, but that is strictly my opinion. I have owned both zero turns and tractors and just don't think the ztr's are worth the extra money. The new tractors turn extremely tight and usually cost less than half for the same engine and mower deck. As far as time goes, the tractor only added about 5 minutes more, not sure it was even that much.

mikec35

Threads
Personally I would go with a riding tractor, but that is strictly my opinion. I have owned both zero turns and tractors and just don't think the ztr's are worth the extra money. The new tractors turn extremely tight and usually cost less than half for the same engine and mower deck. As far as time goes, the tractor only added about 5 minutes more, not sure it was even that much.

I have had both tractors and zero turns, I'll never go back to a tractor. The comfort of a zero turn is so much better, especially important when spending a lot of time on it. I have a ton of obstacles (trees/gardens) that it just makes sense to have a zero turn. This one has easily adjustable steering arms, seat and deck which helps to make it customizable for the driver. I guess it's just like anything else, boils down to what you need and like.

dmeals

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a ZT2 54" deck last Saturday. Have 1.8 hours on it and love it. This is one cutting machine! My commercial cutter didn't show for two weeks and left me with an embarrassing mess...grass about a foot tall. I bought the mower and put it to work immediately. Cut through the thick grass without a hiccup!! Nice mower. Can't wait t o use it again!

Bclarke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I ended up buying the 50" ZT2 and so far I really like it. It cuts well, is sturdy, 23 hp Kawi is quieter than my Husqvarna's 19.5 Briggs, and it's comfortable to ride. So much more mower than my RZ4219. I called a few dealers and many were out of stock, they said this new model is selling out.

Does your deck vibrate a lot. Mine shakes badly when the blades are engaged.

mikec35

Threads
Does your deck vibrate a lot. Mine shakes badly when the blades are engaged.

I don't have any vibration. Possibly a bad bearing/blade or belt. It's still under warranty I'd have the dealer check it out.

mikec35

Threads
Just an update...I've had this machine for about a year now, I'm at 24 hours and I love it. I changed the oil after the first couple of hours and I blow the deck off after each cut. My battery was dead when I went to start it a few weeks ago but that was because my cheap Harbor Freight trickle charger fried and drained the battery. I bought the mulch kit and now when I get done cutting the grass there is nothing left behind. I'm very satisfied with this purchase.