Turf Tiger wiring

myedsore

Threads
Hi guys

I have a Turf Tiger around a 2000 model and I have a problem of blowing fuses. I have both circuit diagrams for machine and Kohler Ch730 25hp engine so next will be tracing the circuits.

Now my violet wire from the stator B+ goes straight to the starter solenoid which in turn is connected to the battery, is this correct?

Also the engine connector has three terminals and there is nothing connected to the top in but the wiring diagram (SCAG) shows a white wire going back to the mower dash.

I am assuming the previous owner has modified the wiring. The funny thing is that if I replace the blown fuse it will blow the good one in the other circuit.

Any ideas. Does anyone have a photo of there Kohler 25hp engine connector wiring both sides of plug for reference or could pop out and grab one for me, would help heaps.

I have a regulator on order just in case this needs replacing, I am awaiting some parts to get the negine up and running before I can check the voltage outputs.

Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The B+ from the regulator can be connected directly to the positive side of the starter solenoid which will be battery hot. That is the recommended method per Kohler.

The other wire you are referencing may have been used for an low oil pressure warning light.

Could you get us the spec number off of the same plate that contains the model number. Kohler has used 4 different ignition systems on size engine over the years. and the spec will narrow it down maybe.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Need the machine number to get the correct wiring diagram, engine numbers don't help much.
Scag has made many Turf Tiger gasoline engine models along with various engine options.
With your machine numbers, you can go to the Scag website, in the lower part of the home page, you can click on operators manuals, then STT, find your machine number series, click and download the operators and parts manual. In the last pages of the parts manual, you will find the wiring diagrams with specific diagrams for each engine make.:cool:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unless I missed one, you have three wires in the wiring connector. A wire going to the starter solenoid on the small prong. A kill wire coming from the ignition modules, and a wire going to the fuel solenoid on the carb. The wire to the starter prong needs power in the start position only. The kill wire from the modules need to be grounded in the key off position, but have no battery power at any time. The wire from the fuel solenoid on the carb needs 12 v both in the start and run positions on the key switch.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those haunting electrical/charging system problems never go away, seems we have chatted about those!!! LOL:laughing:
Have a great day!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those haunting electrical/charging system problems never go away, seems we have chatted about those!!! LOL:laughing:
Have a great day!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

More like a verbal fist fight, but we did shake hands, and called it good.:laughing:

cashman

Threads
Any circuit that carries voltage and is normally isolated from the ground or Earth as some people put it, will result in a blown fuse if shorted. The wiring diagram will be a great help in identifying which circuits carry voltage. This is a method that's worked well for me in the past to find shorted circuits. Disconnect both battery cables from the battery. Hold the positive battery cable against somewhere on the metal part of the machine. Take a volt-ohm meter and check for continuity to ground between any of the circuits that carry voltage. Check all the circuits carrying voltage with the key switch in the "off", "run" and "start" positions. Check the two AC leads coming from the stator first. For some reason, that's the most popular location for a short on those engines. Hope this helps! Cheers!

myedsore

Threads
Ok so I had some time to check out the wiring today and here are my findings. Bear with me it may be a bit confusing.

The previous owner has wired an extra earth to the green/black on the back of the relay located in the Scag control panel. This green black goes from the relay to the safety module. I have tested all the safety switches and they are all feeding 12v back to the module and the module is getting 12v from the red wires on the back of the key switch (control panel) when in the start position. I would assume that if this is the case some internal switch in the module should be closing to supply earth on the green/black wire and therefore closing the relay circuit. The relay is getting +12V from the red coming through the fuse. I am therefore thinking the module is faulty and the previous owner has bypassed this for that reason.

Secondly the yellow wire (12v+) on the side of the keyswitch (control panel) is wired back thru a fuse and thru the loom and connects to the yellow wire terminal (accessory) of the Kohler engine key switch. Is this correct?

This is the wire I am having problems with the fuse blowing. It will only blow if the Kohler key switch is off. I measured continuity between ground and this terminal (Kohler yellow on keyswitch) when switched off and there is a circuit so I am assuming this is wrong as the 12v is shorting down to earth. Funny when you turn on the Kohler keyswitch the fuse does not blow.

I am thinking this yellow wire should go from the key switch in the control panel to the rectifier (purple wire). The wiring diagram does not describe the wires after the engine connector.

Thanks

Mark

Last edited:

cashman

Threads
I don't have the wire diagram in front of me and colors can get confusing. And there is no standard color scheme as far as wire colors are concerned. But, If the Yellow is a switched accessory meaning 12V+ with the keyswitch in on position and at the "A" terminal at back of keyswitch. It will blow the fuse if continuity to Earth with the keyswitch "on". It can be feeding the B+ charging from Rectifier/Regulator back to the battery (purple wire from center terminal of Rec/Regulator back to battery. Check continuity to Earth from the AC leads of the stator coming from under flywheel. They attach to the outside terminals of the Rectifier/Regulator. There should be no continuity to Earth on either of the AC leads. If there is continuity to Earth, inspect the stator for damage or even a screw or something metallic lodged into the windings of the stator under the flywheel. Cheers!