Trying to decide on used Honda's - Which to get?

tailnight1983

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had a husqvana the last 8 years with a Kohler XT-6 motor. It's been fine, but we've just moved and I couldn't bring it with us. So time to get a new (used mower). I've always wanted a Toro with a Honda engine, or a Honda mower/engine. I'm looking on craigslist, and can find a few, but am not sure of the models and if they're residential or commercial quality, or if that matters.

For now, I'm mowing a rental lawn, which is small and mostly flat. I do like the idea of powered for the next house, which is likely to have a little more lawn, but still pretty small.

I'm interested in Honda for the quality, reliability, availability of parts, long life, good catcher feed etc.

Anyone able to ID these two? What year(s) and what sort of price were they new?

Thanks,

$200, powered, stainless deck (is that a good thing, or is cast alloy better?)

$100

upupandaway

Threads
With the honda honda mower u posted, remove the bag and there is a plate to the left. Remove the plate and see if the gear box wobbles\turns with the shaft forward and back.
Being pretty old, the drive shaft input bushing wears out. If so, the gear box wobbles, and the gears don't mesh.

tailnight1983

Forum Newbie
Threads
With the honda honda mower u posted, remove the bag and there is a plate to the left. Remove the plate and see if the gear box wobbles\turns with the shaft forward and back.
Being pretty old, the drive shaft input bushing wears out. If so, the gear box wobbles, and the gears don't mesh.

Thank you, that's good to know.

I realized after posting that the first is just a Honda motor on another brand mower.

I'm still thinking about the old Honda 195 for $100, or a newer 216 for $185

Thanks.

tailnight1983

Forum Newbie
Threads
What has me pretty confused, is that there are Honda motors on Honda mowers from $399 to at least $1599.

The HRR216 seems to be as low as $600 and as high as $1200 (from a real quick look).

How do I tell (without the full model number) if this is an overpriced 20 year old $600 mower, or a bargain $1200 mower from 5 years ago?

Mower King

Threads
What has me pretty confused, is that there are Honda motors on Honda mowers from $399 to at least $1599.

The HRR216 seems to be as low as $600 and as high as $1200 (from a real quick look).

How do I tell (without the full model number) if this is an overpriced 20 year old $600 mower, or a bargain $1200 mower from 5 years ago?

That Honda engine right there in this pic looks like a GCV 190 OHV......Plastic cam with 1 lobe for both Int & Ex valves, 3/16" timing belt, Integrated Cyl head & Cyl......TERRIBLE IDEAS....hard to believe it has a Honda badge on it! IMO....stay away from this model of engine!

Briantii

Threads
For $400 bux you can get a brand new HRN216VKA. I’d do that. The hrr models have self propelled issues that are likely resolved with the hrn. If you want vintage that’s fine too, but just realize you may have to catch up someone else’s lack of maintenance and potentially hunt parts if they aren’t available.

While mower king does correctly point out that the gcv engine has a plastic cam and all... they have proven to be reliable engines and I have personally two gcv engines. One is about 11 years old on a pressure washer, the other ~8.5 years old on a mower that is ran twice a week April - October. Neither engine has ever had any hint of a problem and start easily. The mower even starts first pull every time. It still has it’s original spark plug even. Change the oil, clean and replace air filter, and put gas in it. These engines are solid.

Mower King

Threads
For $400 bux you can get a brand new HRN216VKA. I’d do that. The hrr models have self propelled issues that are likely resolved with the hrn. If you want vintage that’s fine too, but just realize you may have to catch up someone else’s lack of maintenance and potentially hunt parts if they aren’t available.

While mower king does correctly point out that the gcv engine has a plastic cam and all... they have proven to be reliable engines and I have personally two gcv engines. One is about 11 years old on a pressure washer, the other ~8.5 years old on a mower that is ran twice a week April - October. Neither engine has ever had any hint of a problem and start easily. The mower even starts first pull every time. It still has it’s original spark plug even. Change the oil, clean and replace air filter, and put gas in it. These engines are solid.
IMO....the biggest drawback on the GCV engine is not the plastic cam but, the Cylinder head is made onto the cylinder, it is NOT separate and does not unbolt!
If you have a valve train problem.....you will see the drawback of that design!
I worked on one today that had an EX seat drop / twist....because the cylinder head is not separate, it's not cost effective to repair.

Briantii

Threads
IMO....the biggest drawback on the GCV engine is not the plastic cam but, the Cylinder head is made onto the cylinder, it is NOT separate and does not unbolt!
If you have a valve train problem.....you will see the drawback of that design!
I worked on one today that had an EX seat drop / twist....because the cylinder head is not separate, it's not cost effective to repair.

Sure, it’s disposable without a doubt. With that said they do seem to hold up well in general and will probably out last the mower deck. Worst case replacement can done with a $100 harbor freight predator motor which is also disposable.

tailnight1983

Forum Newbie
Threads
That Honda engine right there in this pic looks like a GCV 190 OHV......Plastic cam with 1 lobe for both Int & Ex valves, 3/16" timing belt, Integrated Cyl head & Cyl......TERRIBLE IDEAS....hard to believe it has a Honda badge on it! IMO....stay away from this model of engine!

Thanks, That is really good information to have. I managed to work out the Honda/Honda one is a HR214SX, and from reading on here, it's pretty old (30years) and just seems too much risk that something will need fixing and I'll be up for a lot of expenses. I'm not opposed to owning a mower that is 20 or 30 years old, but just buying one off craigslist and then finding that it needs some parts and maybe a fix I can't do myself, pretty soon I'd be hundreds of dollars into it.

There's also a HR216 ($185) and a HR195 ($115) that appear a good bit newer, and within budget.

I've read that some of the newer ones don't have commercial motors, but have the hydro drive etc. I'll probably grab one of these this week if I have time.

Thanks,