Troy bilt pony won’t start

Bumps25

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Troy bilt pony from 2011 that hasn’t been used for a few years. I got it out and put new oil and gas and battery in and had it running. Then my son was on it and didn’t realize it was in gear and took his foot off the brake and ran it into a wall and now the engine won’t turn over. I replaced the flywheel key but that didn’t fix it. The flywheel itself is pretty hard to spin. When I try to start it there is a rapid clicking noise but nothing happens. I don’t know where to go from here and was wondering if anyone on here has any ideas. Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Rapid clicking is usually a low battery or bad connection the solenoid is clicking. check your battery voltage and make sure the cables are clean and tight on the battery and solenoid. and the ground wire at the frame.
also post the model number of the mower, it's going to be on a white tag on the bottom of the seat.

Bumps25

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rapid clicking is usually a low battery or bad connection the solenoid is clicking. check your battery voltage and make sure the cables are clean and tight on the battery and solenoid. and the ground wire at the frame.
also post the model number of the mower, it's going to be on a white tag on the bottom of the seat.
Thanks, the mower is model number 13WN77KS011. I checked the battery earlier and the multimeter said 12.29 volts. I’ll go look check the connections.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
here's a wiring diagram for future reference,
diagram.gif

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Considering this happened after a crash stop I would suggest you pull the rocker covers off and check that the rockers are still on the pushrods.
Pull the pushrods out and check that the rod is not bent.

Meathead41

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, the mower is model number 13WN77KS011. I checked the battery earlier and the multimeter said 12.29 volts. I’ll go look check the connections.
You need to check the battery UNDER LOAD. If you don't have a battery tester, take the battery to any automobile parts store that sells batteries and have it checked. Auto Zone, Pep Boys, etc. don't charge.

nbpt100

Threads
12.29V when it is off seems a bit low. A charged battery is 12.65V. Anything under 12.4V may be questionable. Can you jump it with a car battery or a jump box?

In that wiring diagram above I do not see the battery in it. Is it Alternator DC?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Like others stated, check battery under LOAD. Sitting for a few years tells me the battery is dead/bad. Especially after crashing the mower. Might of jossled the plates around killing a cell or two.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you checked the pushrods yet ?
they often pop off or bend with an abrupt stop
Then they can get wedged in the cam gear

Also try starting without the belts on the engine pulley
Same story, abrupt stops can cause bets to jump off then get stuck in all sorts of places you can not believe they would get to .
These then jamb and makes cranking difficult .