Troy Bilt Pony - Tiller question ???

Rickshawky

Threads
I'm not a Tiller person so this may sound pretty dang dumb to some of you.
But are the tine's not supposed to turn toward the rear as you go forward on a rear Tine Tiller ???
As the tine's turn toward the rear the wheel's pull you forward .... right ?
Will I came across this TB Pony Tiller and it won't do this, it'll back up with the tine's turning backwards but the wheel's also turn backwards pushing the tiller backwards, put it in FWD and it'll go that way and the tines turn fwd also, but you work your *** to death tilling with it.
I found manual's for tillers like it, but this one as those handles you pull up to make to go and I've not seen any like it as yet. I've no idea what year this one is...any idea's out there?

Are some tillers Forward-Rotating Rear-Tine Rototiller's ?
And some tellers counter rotating rear tine rototiller's? or WHAT ????

[h=2]:anyone::confused:[/h]

Thx

14344-troy-bilt-pony-tiller-question-img_4279-jpg
14345-troy-bilt-pony-tiller-question-img_4277-jpg
14346-troy-bilt-pony-tiller-question-img_4278-jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4279.jpg
    IMG_4279.jpg
    343.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_4277.jpg
    IMG_4277.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tines should rotate the same direction as the wheels rotate. If they didn't the wheel drive and tiller drive would fight each other, each wanting to go in the opposite direction.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Counter rotating tines on rear tine tillers is relatively new. all of the older troybilts were forward tine rotation.

Rickshawky

Threads
Counter rotating tines on rear tine tillers is relatively new. all of the older troybilts were forward tine rotation.

Oh OK ... thank you for clearing that up for me!
Now what I really don't understand is this:
I got this tiller from a one arm man. I'd ask him this question but he is dead, so I can't ask him. ... "What the hell is the trick to using it so it doesn't pull you like your trying to hold back a moving train?" Dang the thing has me wore the crap out!!!! :confused2:
I even see video's of people doing it one handed, but ya can't see if the tine's are turning FWD or backward. ????

Thank You !

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A tiller works best on ground that has been worked up before. If you are trying to till hard ground, it is going to fight you until you have it worked to a depth of at least 6".

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You will find it much better if you plow the land before tilling it, hard ground make's hard work...!:wink:

Rickshawky

Threads
You will find it much better if you plow the land before tilling it,

Wish I had a plow !
Next year I'll get the ol Lady out there with a shovel first before using the Tiller :rolleyes: :laughing:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got the following information from TroyBilt Support Center:

Counter rotating tines (CRT) rotate opposite the drive wheels. Forward rotating tines (FRT) rotate in the same direction as the drive wheels.

CRT models are very good for sod-busting new garden plots where one has not existed before. CRT models are better suited for professional landscapers or the like, who are often creating landscapes from established lawns. CRT models tend to lose forward traction in loosened soils and become harder to manage as the rear tines need to be periodically raised to allow the wheels to propel the unit forward.

Although FRT models may take extra passes to break up soil that has never before been tilled, FRT models are the most popular choice for residential gardeners as they are easily used in established gardens. When using an FRT tiller to break up hard packed soil or clay, adjust the depth bar so the tilling depth is at its shallowest setting. Then, till in a criss-cross pattern and slowly lower the depth of till until the soil is loose. Once the soil is broken, the addition of mulch, sand and other elements to create proper soil balance and drainage will ease future garden tilling. If breaking new ground using an FRT model is difficult, consider renting a CRT model to break up the hard soil then use the FRT model for the remainder of your tilling needs.

NOTE: There are no approved modifications available which will convert models between the two styles. However, there are some optional accessories available for FRT tillers that help improve their tilling ability in hard soil conditions.

hdsport

Threads
Just got my "new" 1992 Troy Pony and it works exactly as you described.
Tried it in some soil and it broke it up very well.
If you hit a solid rock it may "throw" the unit forward a little, depending, but overall is a great unit.Troy Bilt Pony Tiller.jpeg