Troy-Bilt Lawnmower SP Issues

eddie57

Threads
My Troy-Bilt self-propelled lawnmower doesn't seem to self propel like it used to. I recently changed the drive belt and that helped a little. When I am cutting the grass and make a turn I always lift the front of the lawnmower. Sometimes after I place the mower back on the grass the wheels won't turn. Does anyone have any idea on how I can correct this issue? Thanks

upupandaway

Threads
Can u post a pic or model number?

Odds r it is 2 likely causes. The belt stretched so u need to pull a little further to make it grab or else maybe the belt is hard shiny that it is slipping.

eddie57

Threads
Can u post a pic or model number?

Odds r it is 2 likely causes. The belt stretched so u need to pull a little further to make it grab or else maybe the belt is hard shiny that it is slipping.
It's a new belt. Is there a way that when I set the self-propelled lever that it tightens the belt a little more? Thank you.

upupandaway

Threads
It's a new belt. Is there a way that when I set the self-propelled lever that it tightens the belt a little more? Thank you.
If your mower has the triangle box with a trigger there is a nut where the cable enters the box that u can tighten the cable. Or else post what setup your mower has.

eddie57

Threads
I posted some pictures. The first picture includes the Drive Control (black color), the second picture is the front of the mower and I included the bottom of the mower as well. The cable for the drive control seems very loose. Maybe it's supposed to be that way. Thanks you.

Attachments

• IMG_20200718_141251.jpg
    IMG_20200718_141251.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200718_141601.jpg
    IMG_20200718_141601.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 5
  • LM Underneath.jpg
    LM Underneath.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 5

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the wheel ratchets.
Pull the belt cover off and watch as you put the wheels down. Does the belt slip on the pulley or not when the wheels don't drive.

eddie57

Threads
Check the wheel ratchets.
Pull the belt cover off and watch as you put the wheels down. Does the belt slip on the pulley or not when the wheels don't drive.
Ratchets are fine. Wheels are relatively new. I will check if the belt is slipping. Thank you.

upupandaway

Threads
It is kinda pain to do that with this mower cuz if u take the front apart the belt is loose so u r just eyeballing it if the belt is loose.
If u want to check if the belt is tight I think the best place is to look underneath with someone or held with a rope to see if the belt is tight.

By the handle where the cable comes out of the box is a screw. It is like a 10 speed bike- unscrew it to make the cable longer thus belt tighter. Mine went out pretty far so I took 1 more step.

hacker suggestion:
At the front if u take apart the front (8 screws I recall) there is a bracket holding the cable casing still. I took that out and put a washer in to make the cable casing longer thus the cable tighter. That worked for me

If after doing this and the belt is still loose maybe u got 1in too long....

eddie57

Threads
It is kinda pain to do that with this mower cuz if u take the front apart the belt is loose so u r just eyeballing it if the belt is loose.
If u want to check if the belt is tight I think the best place is to look underneath with someone or held with a rope to see if the belt is tight.

By the handle where the cable comes out of the box is a screw. It is like a 10 speed bike- unscrew it to make the cable longer thus belt tighter. Mine went out pretty far so I took 1 more step.

hacker suggestion:
At the front if u take apart the front (8 screws I recall) there is a bracket holding the cable casing still. I took that out and put a washer in to make the cable casing longer thus the cable tighter. That worked for me

If after doing this and the belt is still loose maybe u got 1in too long....
I will look into it. Thank you very much for your suggestions.