Troy Bilt Horse XP Riding Mower Moves Slowly after drive belt changed

semimechanicman

Threads
  • / Troy Bilt Horse XP Riding Mower Moves Slowly after drive belt changed
I recently changed the belt on a troy bilt horse riding mower because the old one kept jumping off. Now that i put the new one on, it doesn’t jump off but now the mower is very slow and makes a squeaking noise like the belt is rubbing against something. I notice that the belt gets pretty hot because i touched it with my hand after.

semimechanicman

Threads
I recently changed the belt on a troy bilt horse riding mower because the old one kept jumping off. Now that i put the new one on, it doesn’t jump off but now the mower is very slow and makes a squeaking noise like the belt is rubbing against something. I notice that the belt gets pretty hot because i touched it with my hand after.
i’ll post the model number tomorrow

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either one of the pulleys has seized or your belt routing is wrong .

semimechanicman

Threads
Did you replace drive belt with OEM Troy Bilt drive belt? Also did you inspect idler pulleys for bearing wear, drag, etc?
Raise hood & see if drive belt part number is listed on sticker under hood.
It’s not OEM but it was the same size and all. Pulleys seem to be fine and spin freely.

semimechanicman

Threads
Either one of the pulleys has seized or your belt routing is wrong .
The pulleys spin freely and the belt routing is good. I have already checked to see if it’s right but i’ll look again to make sure

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you are right, squeaking is the belt ( or a pulley ) rubbing against something that it should not be doing or the belt slipping because the tension spring is in the wrong place
Or you got the belts wrong way round on the variator
Final thing that can squeal is the brake not fully releasing but if you did not touch it that should not be happening unless the go pedal is not fully returning

semimechanicman

Threads
Well you are right, squeaking is the belt ( or a pulley ) rubbing against something that it should not be doing or the belt slipping because the tension spring is in the wrong place
Or you got the belts wrong way round on the variator
Final thing that can squeal is the brake not fully releasing but if you did not touch it that should not be happening unless the go pedal is not fully returning
The belt routing is correct. I took a picture before replacing it. I didn’t touch anything else so i’m guessing it’s the belt? I will put on the old belt to see if it’s still slow. If not then it is something else.