Transmission grease Metro 36

Rickcin

Threads
I need to check the grease level and the owners manual says you need to unbolt the upper half of the transmission to change or check the grease level!

Is this true, you need to remove the top of the housing ?

Also, does anyone know the weight or type of grease that needs to be used ?

Thanks,

Rick

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes you need to take off the top....and the grease is Peerless grease (Part No. 788067).
If you need the info on how to do it let me know.

Rickcin

Threads
Yes you need to take off the top....and the grease is Peerless grease (Part No. 788067).

I did read the manual and It explains what has to be removed, the shift lever and all of the top bolts. It also explains where the grease level needs to be. If there is anything else I need to know, or any information for your experience that would help me, I would appreciate you letting me know.

First question, do the bolts need to be torqued when putting the case back together ?

Help always appreciated!

Thanks,
Rick

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Rickcin

Threads

I need to get this exact grease ?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tecumseh grease part #788067 is Bentinite, which is what is recommend by Peerless for their transmissions. I have cleaning the parts that have spent years in it, it will stick to any and everything. The only thing good that I have to say about it, is that I have never had a failure to a tranny that I have rebuilt and used it in. Wicked but good stuff.

Why do you want to pull the tranny? Is there a specific problem you are trying to solve? This grease is so sticky that the only time I have seen it come out of a tranny, is when the seals have gone bad.

Rickcin

Threads
The tecumseh grease part #788067 is Bentinite, which is what is recommend by Peerless for their transmissions. I have cleaning the parts that have spent years in it, it will stick to any and everything. The only thing good that I have to say about it, is that I have never had a failure to a tranny that I have rebuilt and used it in. Wicked but good stuff.

Why do you want to pull the tranny? Is there a specific problem you are trying to solve? This grease is so sticky that the only time I have seen it come out of a tranny, is when the seals have gone bad.

Very good question and perhaps I should leave it alone, you tell me.

The gears work, however the reverse does not work unless you pull the mower back slightly then it moves but has no power and if you try to turn, slightest resistance, it just stops.

Also, going forward it works but when going down a slope it picks up speed and slightly seems to slip going up a slope.

The grease may be a non factor ??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you post the model number for that unit. I'd like to see exact;y which transmission it uses.