Trans/Drive belt replacement on a Scag SMWC-61

KyGolfer

Threads
I need to replace the drive belt on a Scag SMWC-61 ( Kohler Engine 27HP) . I'm pretty sure that I have to remove the cutter/deck belt 1st, since the drive belt looks like it belongs above it. ( I have lots of experience on the deck belt install. I have a habit of sliding off when I 1st engage the PTO. I've tried low-med-high rpms. Still happens. Any advise on this problem? ) Back to my main problem. Is there any extra advise I can get on the Drive belt replacement? Or, is it pretty much straight forward? I have manual for belt routing. { Extra stupid question. This belt has notches or "teeth". Is this for extra "traction" around pulley's?}

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The segmented V belt is not for more "traction" but less slippage, less heat produced and thus longer life.:smile:
What is an SMWC-61?

Last edited:

KyGolfer

Threads
An SMWC-61 is a Scag Wildcat zero turn, with a 61" advantage deck , 27HP Kohler engine.
Thanks for belt info!

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was just looking thru the Wildcat parts manuals and I see the SMWC models mentioned along with the STWC models, was not aware of this.
Do you know what if any differences there are between model designations? Just curious!!!
Not many Scag Wildcats in my area, saw one on Craigs list about a year ago and went to look at it, machine was lacking maintenance and had a smoky Kohler engine. Owner was asking $6,000, my top offer was $4,000, when I stuck a magnet into the hydraulic reservoir and it had ferrous metal on it, I quickly backed away and made a $2,000 final offer. I didn't come home with the Wildcat!!!
Just put new deck and deck drive V belts on my Tiger Cub, checked the clutch gaps, probably will replace the pump drive belt and pulleys this fall.

Last edited:

KyGolfer

Threads
Sorry, I don't know the differences in distinction between the two.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
With your deck drive belt jumping off, I suggest releasing the tension on both deck belts and drop them aside. Spin each spindle checking for excessive drag, spin each tensioner/idler pulley for bearing noise, roughness, looseness and drag.
The tensioners are on an arm which has a bearing at the pivot point and if this bearing is bad, the tensioner arm can wobble and misalign the pulley which can cause it to throw the belt off when the PTO is turned on. The tensioner springs can loose strength and not pull the tensioner pulley tight enough against the belt.

KyGolfer

Threads
As far as the Drive/Trans belt replacement. This was a pretty easy repair. Just had to remove deck belt first, so I could get Drive belt above it. I wish to thank Scag engineers for designing this, with the thought that the belt would have to be replaced someday, and we don't have to remove PTO pulleys, plus a ton of other stuff, just to replace . ( I've had this ordeal on other mowers.) The cost of the belt = $50.00. Labor = At age 58, a few aches and pains from crawling around and bending over, but Free! Saved $200 from a quote at repair shop.

KyGolfer

Threads
Mad Mackie, please see new thread on deck belt spin off. Thanks for your thoughts!