Traction in the Snow

jak61

Forum Newbie
Threads
Which would be a better setup for my Craftsman tractor? Tractor lug rear tires or tire chains? There will be wheel weights on rear tires. I'm setting up a little tractor to plow snow next winter and just wondering which setup would perform the best. Any info will be appreciated.

de dee

Threads
the manual says use chains and Wt.s on the tractor for snow removal,. there is cross bar chains for better traction ,look in the sears on line catalog, the only thing it could be hard on the paved driveway,. I have a pgt 9000 tractor from sears and a 44" sears snow blower made by berco

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
the manual says use chains and Wt.s on the tractor for snow removal,. there is cross bar chains for better traction ,look in the sears on line catalog, the only thing it could be hard on the paved driveway,. I have a pgt 9000 tractor from sears and a 44" sears snow blower made by berco

It's not hard on the driveway if your careful lol

X-man

Threads
If it were me, I would use the lug tires. But I think it would be cheaper and easier to use chains. I don't use my tractor for snow plowing so I don't know. That's just something I would do if I decided to plow for the first time.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have been plowing snow for years and with different set ups. The best I have found is weight, turf tires, and tire chains. The rubber lugs just don't dig into the ice like tire chains do. Lug tires with tire chains just don't work also.

X-man

Threads
I have been plowing snow for years and with different set ups. The best I have found is weight, turf tires, and tire chains. The rubber lugs just don't dig into the ice like tire chains do. Lug tires with tire chains just don't work also.

I forgot about the ice. I was just thinking about the snow.

Retiredcarguy

Threads
Even 4WD is no match for ice. Chains and weights are the way to go. At the very least chains to start.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
So does kubota. Commonly named mini tractors.