Toro Timecutter Tire Inflation

rdgallo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro Timecutter 4225 zero turn mower that I purchased new last year. Yesterday I was servicing it for this year's mowing and when I tried to check the from castor tire pressure, I found that I could not find enough clearance between the tire inflation valve stem and the frame (fork) (that holds the wheel on) to put a pressure gage on the valve stem. Do I have to remove the wheel in order to check tire pressure? I jacked up the front of the machine and moved the tire every way I could, but still could not find enough clearance.
Thanks!
Screen Shot 2021-03-30 at 6.34.04 AM.png

a022mil

Threads
I have the same exact mower, very hard to get grease gun and tire gauge onto the front tires, basically on the air pressure, bend the stem a little, you can get it on but it is hard, on the grease gun try using a flexible hose, if a non flexible attachment does not work, Toro was not smart designing the front wheels, I do not think you have to remove wheels, any other advice from anybody else is welcomed.

rdgallo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same exact mower, very hard to get grease gun and tire gauge onto the front tires, basically on the air pressure, bend the stem a little, you can get it on but it is hard, on the grease gun try using a flexible hose, if a non flexible attachment does not work, Toro was not smart designing the front wheels, I do not think you have to remove wheels, any other advice from anybody else is welcomed.
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I agree Toro was not smart with this design. I stopped by the place I bought it from this morning, and he suggested exactly what you did...bend the stem out a little. I asked him what he thought about me removing the wheel. He said, "Oh you don't want to do that. You can really mess things up". The schematic shows one bolt, one nylock nut and a couple bushings. How in the heck can you screw that up? Maybe there is something I am missing here? Anybody else on here have something to add. It would be appreciated.

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK: My 2014 TimeCutter is a 4260 (100 year Anniversary of Toro)

Removing the front wheel is simple as pie. But not necessary to add air or grease. Dealers can be so dramatic. Like they are only ones that can do anything. LOL .

1) I use a thin 'pencil style' air gauge for my front tires. Just enough room to get on the air valve. I just jack the front a bit & rotate tire till the air valve is just to the Left of the Arrow in your diagram (like 7 or 8 o'clock). works for me. And same for greasing.

I bought mine new back in 2014, that 1st winter I was gonna notch the fork for easier access. But I didn't. just used different tools.
Take your time & once you do it, it will be easy, since you've done it.

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
My Exmark (made by Toro) has the the same tires and same air fill issue. I check the tire pressures every time I mow to control ground height. You're correct, you cannot access the Shrader valve in every wheel position. Sometimes you simply need to roll the unit in order to be able to access the valve.

I suggest you buy a "90° air chuck", which makes access much easier... but still not perfect. Something like this (with or without the gauge)...

s-l300.jpg

rdgallo

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK: My 2014 TimeCutter is a 4260 (100 year Anniversary of Toro)

Removing the front wheel is simple as pie. But not necessary to add air or grease. Dealers can be so dramatic. Like they are only ones that can do anything. LOL .

1) I use a thin 'pencil style' air gauge for my front tires. Just enough room to get on the air valve. I just jack the front a bit & rotate tire till the air valve is just to the Left of the Arrow in your diagram (like 7 or 8 o'clock). works for me. And same for greasing.

I bought mine new back in 2014, that 1st winter I was gonna notch the fork for easier access. But I didn't. just used different tools.
Take your time & once you do it, it will be easy, since you've done it.
Thanks to all for the responses. I rolled the tractor to where the valve stems were in the 7-8 o'clock position and was able to get the job done. How much air pressure do you all maintain in your front and rear tires. I put 13psi in the rear and about 28psi in the fronts.
Thanks again to all for the help.

a022mil

Threads
Thanks to all for the responses. I rolled the tractor to where the valve stems were in the 7-8 o'clock position and was able to get the job done. How much air pressure do you all maintain in your front and rear tires. I put 13psi in the rear and about 28psi in the fronts.
Thanks again to all for the help.
That sounds like the correct air pressure amounts!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good you got your tires aired.

Front tires take 22 psi & I run 12psi in backs. It's written in the owners manual of 12 for rears. My book says to read the sidewall for fronts tho. That shows 22 psi, so that works for me. (actually I do run 24 in fronts tho) .. LOL

Then on a flat surface I check the mower deck for correct slope to front, & side to side level.

rdgallo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good you got your tires aired.

Front tires take 22 psi & I run 12psi in backs. It's written in the owners manual of 12 for rears. My book says to read the sidewall for fronts tho. That shows 22 psi, so that works for me. (actually I do run 24 in fronts tho) .. LOL

Then on a flat surface I check the mower deck for correct slope to front, & side to side level.
The manual says to run the fronts to what it says on the tires, which is a max of 30 psi and the rears to 13 psi. I chose 28 for the fronts as I thought running them to the max might be a bit high? But, heck I don't know anything. lol

Born2Mow

Threads
My 2020 Exmark manual lists 13psi the correct pressure in the "Front Caster - All Models" (that covers 44" to 60"), size 13x5.00-6.

Tire pressures are only listed in the front of the manual in the Specifications section.