Toro TimeCutter SS5000 Blades will not engage

blopez212

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
I have a Toro SS5000 and my blades will not engage. When I pull up on the PTO (which i just replaced 6 months ago) nothing engages. I have checked the fuses and both are good (replaced anyway). If I try to pull up on the PTO while i am not sitting on the seat the mower dies (this is normal and a safety feature). I recently replaced spindles and blades as they were completely worn down last week. I since have used the mower with no issues for a complete run. I went to mow the yard this afternoon and found that my blades will no longer engage. Please see the relevant information below:

Toro TimeCutter SS5000 Model: 74360
Serial : 311011080
DOM : APR 2011
Kawasaki Engine : FR651V 22.0

Recently replaced parts:
Spindles
Blades
Solenoid
Battery
PTO Switch
Choke Cable
Cable Throttle

(All replaced due to worn out parts or routine maintenance)

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
How many hours are on this machine? Must have considerable hours to have to replace the spindles. Other than the switch any history of the PTO acting up in any way?

blopez212

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not sure how many hours I have on the mower, but the replacement of the spindles are more to do with the roots that are above ground. I really cant say that the PTO switch had any other issues other than the time that I replaced it. Thank you for your response.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Undo the plug on the clutch and check that you are getting 12V to the plug when the PTO Switch is on and nothing when it is off.
The wires are simply 12 V & Ground.
If you have 12V & Ground at the plug then pull off the clutch and check it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When this happens on mine. It is the key switch. Pull the pto knob up and wiggle the key switch.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

blopez212

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok sorry for the delayed answer. Due to Vacation and lack of funds I have an update for the community. I tested PTO switch it was fine, I tested the wire harness and it was fine. That left the PTO Clutch a hit that I was not prepared to take, especially since it is a $400 hit for an OEM replacement. I did some shopping around and found one for $155 at Ox Clutch. Replacing the Clutch was simple and fixed the issue. Mower is up and running like a champ. Thanks for all the input it was extremely helpful.

Jimcave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,
I have a Toro SS5000 and my blades will not engage. When I pull up on the PTO (which i just replaced 6 months ago) nothing engages. I have checked the fuses and both are good (replaced anyway). If I try to pull up on the PTO while i am not sitting on the seat the mower dies (this is normal and a safety feature). I recently replaced spindles and blades as they were completely worn down last week. I since have used the mower with no issues for a complete run. I went to mow the yard this afternoon and found that my blades will no longer engage. Please see the relevant information below:

Toro TimeCutter SS5000 Model: 74360
Serial : 311011080
DOM : APR 2011
Kawasaki Engine : FR651V 22.0

Recently replaced parts:
Spindles
Blades
Solenoid
Battery
PTO Switch
Choke Cable
Cable Throttle

(All replaced due to worn out parts or routine maintenance)

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

The first time I replaced the blades on my SS5000 I installed them upside down. Dumb, I know, but this did prevent the blades from engaging.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first time I replaced the blades on my SS5000 I installed them upside down. Dumb, I know, but this did prevent the blades from engaging.

I don't see a correlation to upside down blades, to not engaging ? Maybe someone can clarify how this could be ?

Jimcave

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't see a correlation to upside down blades, to not engaging ? Maybe someone can clarify how this could be ?

Some blades are flat on both sides around the center hole, but others have two ridges on one side. These ridges are on both sides of the center hole, and they grip the blade base on the mower when the blade is tightened down, preventing the blade from turning.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Some blades are flat on both sides around the center hole, but others have two ridges on one side. These ridges are on both sides of the center hole, and they grip the blade base on the mower when the blade is tightened down, preventing the blade from turning.

Thank You, Love learning new stuff. That would keep them stopped all right..