Toro throttle problem TB30R

Daveintx

Threads
Recently my mower started running very rough. After checking the obvious (fuel filter, plug, removed plug in bottom of carb,etc) turns out it was what the manufacturer refers to as the pto switch (blade engage switch). After replacing the switch, the mower only runs at one speed which is about 3/4 speed. Won't rev faster or slower. The throttle cable is moving but not engaging the carb. I can't find a pic or diagram of what the throttle linkage should look like. Any help would be appreciated. '21 year model.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have one just like it at work. Don't know why it would do that with what you say you have done to it. There is a link going from the governor arm to the throttle shaft with an anti surge spring over it. Where the boden wire (inner wire) hooks into the control arm there is an arm on the backside with the governor spring hooked to it that goes to the governor arm. This setup is kinda funky. You can increase the RPMs by loosening the clamp on the throttle cable and pull the whole thing toward the back of the engine and locking it back down. But when you do this it may make it run faster at idle. If it does post back and I will tell you how to fix it.

Daveintx

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I have loosened the throttle cable and moved it both directions with little to no change in engine speed. Quite frankly, I'm stumped.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can get reach max revs like 3600 with your finger controlling the throttle plate?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Find the governor spring and where it hooks to the control arm. Is behind the control arm bracket and if you move the throttle control you will be able to see it through the square hole in the control arm bracket. You can take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend it to put more tension on the spring. You really need a tach to do this and set the the RPM to about 3500 RPMs can go to 3600.

Daveintx

Threads
Find the governor spring and where it hooks to the control arm. Is behind the control arm bracket and if you move the throttle control you will be able to see it through the square hole in the control arm bracket. You can take a pair of needle nose pliers and bend it to put more tension on the spring. You really need a tach to do this and set the the RPM to about 3500 RPMs can go to 3600.
I'll give it a try in the morning. Is there supposed to be anything besides a spring? I can't see how a flimsy spring would move the governor.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It'll rev with finger control.
Then your carb/throttle linkage is off.

Either a cable is bent, bent up or non OEM or linkage stuff is way off. Finger works to max revs but not linkage.

Look up your carb and linkages at your engine parts list. Somebody has been playing around in there.....

Daveintx

Threads
Then your carb/throttle linkage is off.

Either a cable is bent, bent up or non OEM or linkage stuff is way off. Finger works to max revs but not linkage.

Look up your carb and linkages at your engine parts list. Somebody has been playing around in there.....
I haven't been able to find an engine parts list. Suggestion?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The spring is not very heavy. Those engines have a quiet muffler and the sound may fool you as to the RPMs.