Toro recycler Koehler 6.75

runandrise

Threads
Greetings all!
My metal recycler sometimes brings me “gifts” he has picked up, and I try to help him fix “stuff” he can sell. He brought me the subject lawnmower that looks in excellent condition to fix if I could. It won’t fire except when I prime it... it doesn’t seem to me to have very good compression, but my understanding is you can’t get an accurate reading with an engine with OHV. And my compression gauge doesn’t have the smaller spark plug hole fitting either.
Will an engine fire with low compression? I also took the carb off and the bowl and it’s also pretty clean.
I realize people don’t usually throw away things that work, but I do have a 5hp Honda pressure washer that needed nothing but gas to run that I picked up off the curb so who knows???
any thoughts on my next plan of action greatly appreciate.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
with a small engine like that, not starting unless you prime it generally means either a blocked idle circuit in the carb or a choke that is not closing fully.
IF it is the latter then the mower will generally start fine when hot and give you grief when cold

If it is the carb then it will be hard to start hot or cold.