Toro only starts with gas drip directly into carb - NOT without. Hot or cold.

juicer

Threads
  • / Toro only starts with gas drip directly into carb - NOT without. Hot or cold.
Toro 22" recycler model 20017 sn# 250066250
got it free on CL
not used in 2 years
bowl and plug/holes clear
fresh gas
only starts with shot of gas into carb whether hot or cold
once started will run without issue
I see eBay complete Tecumseh compatible 640350 carbs for ~$11
anything I can check before throwing my wallet at it?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Toro only starts with gas drip directly into carb - NOT without. Hot or cold.
Sounds like a carb issue or maybe compression since ether is more flammable than gasoline. Retorque the head and adjust the valves. Make sure the spark plug is clean and gapped properly.

juicer

Threads
Sorry I misstated when I said "Starter fluid" but now changed the title to gas.
I actually was just squirting gasoline into carb. Runs until I shut it off and then won't restart hot or cold without gas shot into carb.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either the idle circuit is blocked, the priming / chokeing system is not working or there is a minor air leak between the mainjet venturi & the inlet valve
I am not familiar with your engine
If it has a choke make sure it closes fully when chokes. if not move the control cable .
Remove the carb & clean all of the internal passages
Saturate the regions from the top of the throttle butterfly back to the cylinder with WD 40 liquid and see if the mower blows a lot of white smoke as the w40 gets sucked in

juicer

Threads
OK thanks. will look into your suggestions.
Does the fact that the same problem exists whether the engine is hot or cold compel or eliminate any of your suggestions?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No but makes a clogged carb No1 on the hit list, unless there are other symptoms you are hiding from us till the final episode so no one can work out who the murderer is .

juicer

Threads
If it runs fine once started with a shot of gas straight into carb, but won't restart even while hot, where might the clog likely be?
I'll remove the carb later today and put it through rigorous questioning.
Or order a replacement for $11...

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, as I’ve said before, I’ve never trusted aftermarket carbs from Amazon or fleabay. Most times they won‘t solve the problem because they are not the exact one for your engine, just one for multiple engines. I suspect your problem on the original carb is an improperly set float height. I would clean the original carb again and then replace the float needle and seat with part #631021. After doing so set the float level slightly rich, meaning the side opposite the float pin slightly lower.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I set mine a touch leaner on the float. Slows down the carbon buildup in the cylinder/valves.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Setting the float on the lean side will make for harder starting. Been sett it my way for the last 15 years and customers love the easier starting. I’ve never had a problem with any carbon buildup, as long as I don’t go too rich.