Toro LX500 will not move question

Paddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro LX-500 model 13AP60RP744 and while cutting the grass it just stopped.
I thought it was a broken drive belt. I checked the belt and it seemed loose but not broken. So I put it back in gear and attempted to go forward. Smoke came from under the tractor where the drive pulley is. I figured from the burnt rubber smell the belt was slipping on the pulley. It turned out the belt was NOT broken, but it was in bad condition. There were few pieces, chunks missing.
I replaced the belt (what a pain) and to me it still seems loose. After replacing the belt I have the exact same result, the tractor does not move and there is a burnt rubber smell. I don稚 see any places where a tension spring is missing and I checked the yard and did not find one. Any ideas what is wrong?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a Toro LX-500 model 13AP60RP744 and while cutting the grass it just stopped. I thought it was a broken drive belt. I checked the belt and it seemed loose but not broken. So I put it back in gear and attempted to go forward. Smoke came from under the tractor where the drive pulley is. I figured from the burnt rubber smell the belt was slipping on the pulley. It turned out the belt was NOT broken, but it was in bad condition. There were few pieces, chunks missing. I replaced the belt (what a pain) and to me it still seems loose. After replacing the belt I have the exact same result, the tractor does not move and there is a burnt rubber smell. I don稚 see any places where a tension spring is missing and I checked the yard and did not find one. Any ideas what is wrong?

There should be a pulley on a bracket that moves. There should be a spring on the bracket to keep the pulley pushing on the belt to keep it tight.

The belt will be loose with the clutch/brake pedal pushed down but shout be tight when pedal is up.

Paddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
The belt is loose no matter where the pedal is. It is tighter when the pedal is depressed.
Do you know where I can find a drawing showing the parts on the belt tension system?
If I could find that I could compare and see if I'm missing something.
Thanks for your reply.

Paddy

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK Thanks I check it out

trina

Forum Newbie
Threads
where does the other end of the extension spring hook to? on to the pulley and the other to ?

tdbdiver1

Forum Newbie
Threads
There should be a pulley on a bracket that moves. There should be a spring on the bracket to keep the pulley pushing on the belt to keep it tight.

The belt will be loose with the clutch/brake pedal pushed down but shout be tight when pedal is up.
I'm having the same problem with my Toro LX500. Are you referring to the long drive belt or the short one? My long belt is really sloppy. Are you saying there should be a way to adjust the tension?

gsim

Threads
I have a Toro LX-500 model 13AP60RP744 and while cutting the grass it just stopped.
I thought it was a broken drive belt. I checked the belt and it seemed loose but not broken. So I put it back in gear and attempted to go forward. Smoke came from under the tractor where the drive pulley is. I figured from the burnt rubber smell the belt was slipping on the pulley. It turned out the belt was NOT broken, but it was in bad condition. There were few pieces, chunks missing.
I replaced the belt (what a pain) and to me it still seems loose. After replacing the belt I have the exact same result, the tractor does not move and there is a burnt rubber smell. I don稚 see any places where a tension spring is missing and I checked the yard and did not find one. Any ideas what is wrong?
Sounds like idler pulley is frozen. I'd look at that first. Tension spring, if it has one, is another possible culprit.

Its Me

Threads
Put the belt that is called for, change the Idlers, yes there is a return spring just follow the foot clutch movement and you will see how it works you want to make sure that the belt is not rubbing and of the belt guards, to make sure that you see and understand how it works I would remove the deck, lift the mower up then you will get a good look of how it works, if need more help send pic, Joe