Top speed on LX277 seems quite slow

tinopuno

Forum Newbie
Threads
I very recently bought an LX277 with 582 hours on the meter. Engine starts easily and runs smoothly. Engine and trans oil levels are good, and engine oil appears recently changed. Both FWD and Reverse pedals engage smoothly. Everything on the tractor appears to be in working order. The machine appears to have been reasonably well cared for but has not been use for the past 2 years and was 'put away' in fairly dirty condition.

I have 2 concerns: 1) the cruise control lever seems quite stiff, especially when compared to a JD 265 I've driven; 2) the top speed seems quite slow...slower than 3rd gear on my vintage JD 180 and MUCH slower than the JD265. I have not attempted to tow anything or climb any hills with the tractor to date, so I don't know how it would respond to an increased load. Am I probably looking at serious transmission problems or is there possibly a less expensive solution? Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the belt and the idler tension pulley. One or both could be the problem. The belt may be old, stiff and streatched, the pulley tensioner may be frozen or not moving freely or the pulley could be stiff.

tinopuno

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the belt and the idler tension pulley. One or both could be the problem. The belt may be old, stiff and streatched, the pulley tensioner may be frozen or not moving freely or the pulley could be stiff.

Rivets,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'll check both out. Could the fact that the machine had been unused for a couple years until I acquired it account for a frozen tensioner? I believe the LX277 has a Tuff Torq K62 trans. Do you have any opinion on the durability of this particular trans, assuming reasonably responsible maintenance, which I believe this machine received prior to disuse.

Again, thanks for your input.

macguy59

Threads
Engine compression and belt tension. Check drive belt tension first.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine compression??? Yes, if it has be sitting that long the tensioner may not be traveling far enough and freely. Tuff Torq make a good tranny.

Pent-R lawn

Threads
Have you used the PTO? I have one also that I got used. The engine is quiet, but the mechanic said it had 120 PSI on both cylinders. How much fluid does it have? I know mine is somewhat slow, but I also need to put fluid in it. And the cruise on mine is stiff too. I will try to WD-40 the cruise parts on mine and let you know.

P.S. how does the parking brake work on it?

Pent-R lawn

Threads
"1) the cruise control lever seems quite stiff, especially when compared to a JD 265 I've driven"

On the LX277 you have to remember that the lever is moving the pedal not just locking into a slot. I put WD-40 on all the moving parts on the cruise lever and on all the moving parts on the pedals. That helped; but if you look under the fender where the cruise lever is you will find a slotted plate that the cruise slides through. There should be a sticker that says "Friction Control". If you just tighten the screw there it will make it stiffer. If loosened it will make it looser. Hope this helps!

pile81

Threads
That many hours the drive idlers, belts, and main drive pulley on tje engine are most likely worn out, more so the main drive pulley.....the idlers typically make noise when they are bad or going bad unless one Is locked up, and the cruise control lever is something you'll have to lubricate and work free or remove, clean and anti seize it...

BBO

Threads
The top speed seems quite slow...slower than 3rd gear on my vintage JD 180 and MUCH slower than the JD265.

Someplace in a manual you can find what the top MPH speed is supposed to be. It might be like 3-4 MPH
Then if you are good at math you can drive it around the block 4 times or whatever and time the distance with a stopwatch.
Then measure this distance in a car or something with an odometer.

With this data you can see what MPH the mower is running.
If it is indeed slow you might be able to adjust it with the linkage, but more than likely the discs inside are worn and they will travel slower with lots of age.
I have changed the oil in mine, but the speed increase was not much at all.

You can try pushing the pedal down past floor level with a stick or whatever to see if any speed increase is possible.

On some mowers when you increase forward speed you decrease reverse speed. I am not familiar with your mower.