Timecutter HD vs Raptor SDX

slychadd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning all,

I bought a new place over the winter with 2.29 acres. A few pine trees but mostly wide open lawn. There is a bit of a grade in the front coming off the house but the vast majority is flat. I have 2 dealers near me that I would trust enough to give them my business. One is a Toro dealer the other is Hustler. I have no interest in shopping for a new mower every 5 years so I was looking at the mid to high range residential units. The Toro dealer has a 2019 Timecutter HD 54" with Myride discounted to $5399. It is his last 2019 unit and he says he wants to get it sold. The Hustler dealer is having their spring open house sale so with a purchase of a mower you get an extra year of warranty and a free "flex fork" upgrade. The Raptor SDX 54" would set me back $5099.

I have a feeling I would be happy with either. The biggest difference between the 2 seems to be the Toro branded engine and the Kawasaki on the Hustler. The Myride suspension vs the flex forks. And the $300 price difference. Any input would be appreciated guys.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both are good units I haven’t seen where the flex forks help a lot. Being a Toro guy I recommend the MyRide system. It has been a great unit for us, especially for the commercial guys who spent all day on the unit, they love the comfort on bumpy ground. Older residential customers love the relief it is on their backs. Think about how you’ll feel 5-10 years from now. Have seen no problems with the Loncin engines which Toro has been using for the last 5 years. You will hear pros and cons on both units, so you have to go by your gut feeling.

cruzenmike

Threads
My vote is for the Toro. I have owned a few Toro/Exmark products over the last 5 years or so and they all ran well and provided excellent cut quality. I do know that some of the issues of cut quality on the Hustler SD were addressed in the SDX, but in looking at the machines they have always felt a bit less "refined" if that makes sense. I was super excited about the new Ariens IKON X that came out a couple of years ago; the machine had great features at the price they were asking and appeared to be "heavy duty." In reading over many reviews of the equipment a lot of people have been let down by the mower itself. No exactly the engine, the transmissions or the value, but the mower itself and it's many quality issues.

Toro has a long-standing reputation of making quality products and have decent warranties to back up their products. With no abuse, following maintenance and treating the machine with the respect that is worthy of the price you are paying, it will do just fine for you.

I had considered the TimeCutter HD 48" last year when I replaced my 12 year old Lazer Z CT, but instead I opted for a new Exmark Radius E 48". It all came down to the better warranty for me. I will pay more for peace of mind.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My vote would be for Toro® as well, & I'm slightly biased as that is my machine, since 2014 when I bought it new. I do have the Kawasaki engine.

And heard the Locin engines are doing well also.

I hear the "My Ride" is like night & day above others. No experience w/ flex fork.

Try & test drive each, that is always helpful.