This one has me stumped/6.5 hp quantum

louky1150

Threads
I bought an non-running pressure washer from Marketplace. The seller said it hadn't been running for a couple of years. Typically the gamble on these for me is whether the pump is shot, and if the pump is good I can flip by getting it running, and put it back on Marketplace. I can't get this one running! I have disassembled, cleaned, installed new seat and needle on the carb. After this failure, I installed a new, aftermarket carb. Also new air filter and added a fuel shutoff valve, and spark plug. The symptoms are staying the same, will only fire on choke with starter fluid, runs a couple of seconds, the governor goes back and forth a couple of times, then dies. I am also getting a lot of smoke during the few seconds of running. I have changed oil thinking there might have been gas in the oil but no change. I am assuming some deeper problems; I checked the compression and was getting 70psi after about 6 pulls. I was hoping that there was oil in the cylinder and I would be able to run it out but since I can't get it to run long enough to see if it will stop. I am assuming either a head gasket or bad rings/scored cylinder. My next step will be to pull the head (which will be a new experience for me). I guess my first question is whether the 70psi reading is enough to run this engine. If it was a bad head gasket, I think it would explain the smoke but would it explain the failure to start. Briggs 102Q802-0120 Thanks in advance!1631825783101.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
what color smoke, white,blueish or black?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove and clean out the fuel tank. Make sure you have a good flow AT the carb. Drain into a glass jar for CSI evidence. Should have a nice continuous stream of fuel.

Crack gas cap and see if she will start.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I dunno how you foo's tell what's burning by color. I only see "gray", unless it's moisture (white).
Black is too much fuel. Whiteish can be water/moisture.. usually it will run bad more than smoke with water in the fuel, blueish is oil smoke.
Might need new eye glasses er sumthin

dougand3

Threads
Check Briggs # - doesn't look right. If 6.5hp, it's gonna be 12xxxx-xxxx. Eg: 126T07-0062

louky1150

Threads
Thanks for all the ideas. I tried the gas cap trick. I removed the float bowl with the carb still on the engine and verified that I have a good flow by working the float up and down. I removed the float and needle again to verify. I verified that the main jet is clear. I took the plug out and blew air in the cylinder. It forced out a little oily mist but no droplets. Symptoms still the same. It will start first pull with starting fluid and run a couple of seconds. It smokes when it is running, I would call the smoke white with a blue tint. I still am baffled. I have had engines that smoked like a train, but still started easily and ran well (with power). This STILL looks like a fuel problem with the smoking as a secondary problem, but I'm starting to doubt myself. BTW, I got these numbers from a shroud over the muffler. Full number is 12Q802-0120-D1 03022757.

upupandaway

Threads
out of curiousity - if u grab the air filter housing and try to wiggle it, does it move??
I ask becase I have had a few where the tube that goes from carb to block by the muffler was cracked. Coincidence, one was a power sprayer motor...

Also, did u check the rubber seal that seals the tube where it meets the carb??

U could try the old trick - spray water , in this case behind the carb and further inside on the tube and listen if there is a difference to see if there is a leak.