Thinking about another tractor

fastback

Threads
Hi folks, I'm new to the site, just joined yesterday. I figured since I always have had an interest in tractors why not dive in. Currently, I have several Craftsman tractors but I am going to be looking at a 1964 Wheel Horse. At this point, I don't have very much information all I know is it comes with a snow plow and mower. The motor was rebuilt by a professional and it has electric start. That is all I know other than the fact the owner wants $400.00 and I think that is firm. My question is does any body know anything about the wheel horse of that time period? I know they didn't make a ton of models, but are there models that should not be concidered. Is this the typical price range for a tractor of this vintage and what sould I look for? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Paul

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi folks, I'm new to the site, just joined yesterday. I figured since I always have had an interest in tractors why not dive in. Currently, I have several Craftsman tractors but I am going to be looking at a 1964 Wheel Horse. At this point, I don't have very much information all I know is it comes with a snow plow and mower. The motor was rebuilt by a professional and it has electric start. That is all I know other than the fact the owner wants $400.00 and I think that is firm. My question is does any body know anything about the wheel horse of that time period? I know they didn't make a ton of models, but are there models that should not be concidered. Is this the typical price range for a tractor of this vintage and what sould I look for? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Paul

Paul,

Any WH is really becoming ciollectable, as JD did. WH is coming into its own as a collector brand IMHO, and there really isn't anything you should per se avoid.

I should've started this with the obligatory "what are you going to do with it?"......But, since I doubt you use your JD LA as your main means of plowing your fields, I think what I said would be applicable to you. All you have to watch out for is Wheel Horses of the vintage that AMC (yes, the car company) went under, and Toro picked up the pieces. AMC owned it from the late 60's thru the mid-80's, when it was sold off to Toro.

fastback

Threads
What will I use it for? I don't think a machine of this age will have a large enough deck so I will expect o use it for snow plowing. I have a long dirt driveway over 200 ft as well as a wrap a round paved drive way. I don't like using the MF due to droping stones in the grass and also I want to keep the hours down etc. Plus the back hoe tend to get in the way and I don't want to remove it. Anyway it give me a reason to buy another tractor.

BTW, I did not know that AMC owned WH. Thanks for the info...

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
What will I use it for? I don't think a machine of this age will have a large enough deck so I will expect o use it for snow plowing. I have a long dirt driveway over 200 ft as well as a wrap a round paved drive way. I don't like using the MF due to droping stones in the grass and also I want to keep the hours down etc. Plus the back hoe tend to get in the way and I don't want to remove it. Anyway it give me a reason to buy another tractor.

BTW, I did not know that AMC owned WH. Thanks for the info...

I am mistaken. AMC bought the Wheel Horse outfit in 1974. Long prior to that it was PTC (Pond Tractor Corporation, renamed Wheel Horse in 1958). Originally, the 'wheel horse' was a tiller-like two-wheeled tractor the father-and-son company produced under the 'Pond' brand. Toro aquired WH in 1986 (when all was said and done with the dissolusion of AMC).

And, IMHO, they have been grinding their boot heel into the brand's name ever since........I will NEVER buy a Toro/WH. Just an AMC or a Pond/WH....(like the one you have your sights set on)....Toro ruined Lawn-Boy with it's 'profits only' idealism, and it did the same to WH...it cheapened it up to laughable status.....

But, you don't see a "Toro/Lawn Boy" forum here........because they SUCK. So do the Toro/WH's IMHO...I wish there was a forum for REAL WH's.......but, for the sake of space, I understand.....it'd make the forum look too cluttered and long...to leave Toro to it's own s---thole......and a toro/Lawn Boy forum would pee all over the LB name, as it did WH......

Last edited: