Tecumseh BVS153 - rod knock or not?

XGamer223

Threads
Hello folks,
I want to know if my engine has a rod knock, since I'll be a doing replacing all the gaskets as soon as winter hits since oil has started leaking all around the block. So, if I'm already opening, I'd like to replacing the rod (if it's the part that's bad) too. Also going to replace the piston rings and hone the cylinder since it's wasting a lot (and I mean a lot) of oil.
But before I open it, here are a few recordings:
- Start, mid-throttle, stop
- Mid-throttle, full-throtle, running
(ignore the rattle, it's just the mower's handle)
(attacked a .zip in case the website isn't working out for you)
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Audio_recording.zip
    272.8 KB · Views: 10

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sounds like it to me, it's faint but there is definitely a clicking sound. could be the small end or big end.
If it's using alot of oil (Leaking and burning, right?), you may need to have a machinist bore the cylinder out, I would definitely have a someone that knows what they're doing measure the bore, so then you can either make the decision to hone it and new rings (if the bore is within spec) or may be more economical to repower it, My local machine shop charges either $50 or $75 a hole. $20 for honing.
Also if it is indeed the rod knocking, i would have the crank pin (what the rod bolts too) measured too.

XGamer223

Threads
Sounds like it to me, it's faint but there is definitely a clicking sound. could be the small end or big end.
If it's using alot of oil (Leaking and burning, right?), you may need to have a machinist bore the cylinder out, I would definitely have a someone that knows what they're doing measure the bore, so then you can either make the decision to hone it and new rings (if the bore is within spec) or may be more economical to repower it, My local machine shop charges either $50 or $75 a hole. $20 for honing.
Also if it is indeed the rod knocking, i would have the crank pin (what the rod bolts too) measured too.
Thanks for the reply.
As for the oil, the dripping started a few weeks ago, I suspect a bad crankcase gasket (the engine is 25+ years old). And it is burning oil ever since I own it.
I'll stay with honing and replacing piston rings for now, since no machinists are near me in the area, and I hardly believe any would have time and patience for a $50 mower. I'll take my chances with the new set of piston rings and honing. Also, that knocking noise is there too ever since I own it, and never head ANY issues with it (besides carburetor issues and the oil burning).

When we're by oil burning... what's wrong with Tecumseh's engines in that matter? My BVS153 burns oil, once owned a BVS143, also burned oil, got a Vantage 35, also burns oil, had Vantages at servicing, also burned oil - is it a factory fault, or just bad quality or no proper servicing? Meanwhile, I owned a B&S 35, currently own one too, had multiple of them at servicing, have a tractor with a B&S OHV, and even a Honda ripoff engine - and NONE of them ever puffed the smallest ammout of blue smoke compared to Tecumsehs.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Well, if it's been knocking since you got it, i highly doubt that it is the rod now, usually when they start clanking, you don't have long before blooey.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put up some pics or a movie. I would have a hard time spending that much money on this mower.

Noise could be from a loose engine, loose blade, or just a chunk of carbon.

Pull the head off and take a peek before deciding or buying anything.

XGamer223

Threads
Well, if it's been knocking since you got it, i highly doubt that it is the rod now, usually when they start clanking, you don't have long before blooey.
Good to know! Thanks

XGamer223

Threads
Put up some pics or a movie. I would have a hard time spending that much money on this mower.

Noise could be from a loose engine, loose blade, or just a chunk of carbon.

Pull the head off and take a peek before deciding or buying anything.
Eh pics of what? Engine still wasn't open, and for now I can provide audio only. Maybe you want to see the engine on the outside?

Anyways, engine could be loose, could be checked. Blade surely isn't - that guy ain't going anywhere, it's literally impossible to take it off without a 80% change of breaking the screw.
I opened the head few weeks ago to clean carbon deposits since there was a LOT of it due to high ammounts of oil being burned.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If it's burning that much oil,I highly doubt new standard rings will fix it.
What I would do when you tear it apart, check the piston ring end gaps.
You should be able to find the specifications online or someone here might have them.
That will tell you what shape your cylinder is in.
And check the gaps in New rings too.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the reply.
As for the oil, the dripping started a few weeks ago, I suspect a bad crankcase gasket (the engine is 25+ years old). And it is burning oil ever since I own it.
I wanted to see pics to be able to talk you out of spending any money on this thing.

XGamer223

Threads
If it's burning that much oil,I highly doubt new standard rings will fix it.
What I would do when you tear it apart, check the piston ring end gaps.
You should be able to find the specifications online or someone here might have them.
That will tell you what shape your cylinder is in.
And check the gaps in New rings too.
Thanks a lot. That is indeed very helpful. I'll be tearing it apart as soon as the season ends. And I will probably write a new thread sooner or later.
Thanks a lot again!