Taper Fit Flywheel Loose, Weed Eater BC24W

lindylex

Threads
Taper Fit Flywheel Loose

The crankshaft on my Weed Eater BC24W has a taper that I squeeze the flywheel onto. I separated the two when I was rebuilding the engine. When I tried to place them back together they will not stay pressed together. I tried hammering it on and also pressing it on. Nothing work to keep these two parts pressed together. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
clean the flywheel nice & shinny
You can not do the same with the flywheel because of the tab for the key but do the best you can
The tapers pull up tight when the bolt is done up
Make sure you have not mangled the timing key .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like you haven't fully assemble the unit. Put the washers, spacer (drive coupler), clutch, and the clutch housing (NLA) on it. Otherwords the power unit must be fully assembled.

And as said don't the flywheel key as it manufactured as part of the flywheel. Once damaged you need to replace the flywheel. With you said you have done it is a good chance you have already damaged the flywheel.

lindylex

Threads
Sounds like you haven't fully assemble the unit. Put the washers, spacer (drive coupler), clutch, and the clutch housing (NLA) on it. Otherwords the power unit must be fully assembled.

And as said don't the flywheel key as it manufactured as part of the flywheel. Once damaged you need to replace the flywheel. With you said you have done it is a good chance you have already damaged the flywheel.

The key is not damaged. I did place it all back together. I need to poke at it to see how well it stay through the shroud. The washer, spacer, (drive coupler), clutch, and clutch housing are back together. The pull the pull start and the spark is generated. I am concern because of the loose fit before placing it together that while running it will sheering the key off because it slid down the taper.

lindylex

Threads
clean the flywheel nice & shinny
You can not do the same with the flywheel because of the tab for the key but do the best you can
The tapers pull up tight when the bolt is done up
Make sure you have not mangled the timing key .

I will pull it apart and do a nice cleaning. What do you suggest to use to clean this? The key is definitely apart of the flywheel and still there not damaged. What bolt are we talking about?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nut or bolt whatever holds the flywheel on
You get tapers off with a shock loading
You get them to lock by applying a lot of force SLOWLY
Steel wool , scotchbrite 1000 grit wet N dry whatever you have soft brass brush.
On some applications I lap the two part together right down to rouge 1-2 microns
When you do that dropping the outer onto the shaft will lock them tight but here we are talking about clutches on motorcycles.

lindylex

Threads
"Nut or bolt whatever holds the flywheel on" has no direct bolt or nut holding it on. What [B]StarTech[/B] described is how it is assembled.
"You get them to lock by applying a lot of force SLOWLY" I tried this with no success.
"Steel wool , scotchbrite 1000 grit wet N dry whatever you have soft brass brush." I will give it a try wet sanding with 1000 grit sand paper.
"On some applications I lap the two part together right down to rouge 1-2 microns" I would have tried this is the flywheel did not have the key attached to it.
"
When you do that dropping the outer onto the shaft will lock them tight but here we are talking about clutches on motorcycles." I totally got you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
This isn't rocket science here. Don't over think it. There is no bolt per say. It is a nut, more precisely the threaded clutch that holds the flywheel against the taper. Basically you don't use anything on the tapers as you can get things out of spec. Especially no oil or grease. Must be assembly dry and clean.

One last time. The clutch, spacer, and washers is what holds the flywheel in place. The powerhead must be fully assembled in order to hold the flywheel. The clutch is torqued to approximately 10 ft-lbs. Since you mostly don't the clutch tool (most of us don't) you just snug the clutch down. It does however requires a piston stop to do this. Rope insert through the spark plug hole is what some use for a piston stop but can get hung in the cylinder ports so a regular piston stop is preferred method. Operating the trimmer with the trimmer head and shaft will finish tightening it.

lindylex

Threads
This isn't rocket science here. Don't over think it. There is no bolt per say. It is a nut, more precisely the threaded clutch that holds the flywheel against the taper. Basically you don't use anything on the tapers as you can get things out of spec. Especially no oil or grease. Must be assembly dry and clean.

One last time. The clutch, spacer, and washers is what holds the flywheel in place. The powerhead must be fully assembled in order to hold the flywheel. The clutch is torqued to approximately 10 ft-lbs. Since you mostly don't the clutch tool (most of us don't) you just snug the clutch down. It does however requires a piston stop to do this. Rope insert through the spark plug hole is what some use for a piston stop but can get hung in the cylinder ports so a regular piston stop is preferred method. Operating the trimmer with the trimmer head and shaft will finish tightening it.

Thanks you were correct "more precisely the threaded clutch that holds the flywheel against the taper. " It all works well now.