Surging Briggs and Stratton Engine

Vintshave

Threads
Hi,

Had an old Briggs and Stratton generator sitting in my shed for a couple of years. Since everything was pretty stale, I emptied and flushed the fuel tank, replaced the corroded fuel valve and replaced the filter and the carburetor. I checked the plug out. Everything was good. I started it and after a couple of minutes, it ran like this:

Does anyone have ideas about why it would be surging like this? Basically everything is new.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Surging is caused by a lean running condition, meaningw, more air is entering the combustion chamber than fuel, OR there is a fuel shortage.
Did you replace the carb gaskets when you put the new one on? Did you replace it with an Briggs carb or a $20 Commucarb from China?

Vintshave

Threads
Commucarb. Couldn't find the original Briggs carb for sale for this unit.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Did it come with new gaskets? A ripped gasket will cause a vacuum leak and cause this issue

Vintshave

Threads
New gaskets. The only other thing is that I had to replace a broken carb spacer with a 3 D printed one since they don't make them anymore. Hopefully I'll be able to find one soon. That could be an issue.

Its Me

Threads
you can get the carb. at a mower shop but you can save money with that Chinese crap that don't work, they have not figured out how to make a high speed jet, I seen on the video that you choke it slightly so problem solved, did you try it under a load to see if it will level out, when you done with a generator dump the fuel, take the fuel bowl off and blow the gas off, if not you better get a few more carburetors.