Super Recycler 21387 (2020 Model) - Rear Left wheel has low torque

DonnieZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Super Recycler 21387 (2020 Model) - Rear Left wheel has low torque
I picked up a new SR at Home Depot in the open box area. Thing was in mint condition and I ended up getting it for about $300 off.

Got in my first mow and the cut quality is outstanding - bests my old 2005 model SR by a lot, and that's saying a lot - it cut great. However, I did notice while mowing that the right rear wheel has zero torque. If I lift the mower, brace it against a wall and push the propulsion bar all the way forward, I can't stop the left rear wheel if I tried with all my foot can put on it. I can stop the right rear wheel by simply pressing my toe against it.

I do have a warranty on it, but Home Depot is quoting two-three weeks out for repairs - and it's prime growing season here in Illinois. Was hoping I could tackle this myself if it were something simple.

I did take the wheel apart yesterday. I removed the wheel, the black plastic cover that comes off of the transmission gear, the retainer, spring, other retainer, pinion gear, and the rocker key. There was a pretty decent amount of grease on the rocker key, not sure if it was too much. I've read that where if there's too much grease on the key it won't engage the pinion gear. However, I'm not super clear on how exactly the rocker key engages the pinion gear. (The older models with a woodruff key and a spring that pushes it up is much more clear to me.)

I put it all back together and it's no different - that wheel has no torque. How can I go about diagnosing this further? Was thinking about stopping the wheel and seeing if the transmission is still spinning the left drive axle - if so, I think this would prove the transmission good? Anything else I can look at before I have to take this thing back to HD? I don't mind spending money on parts - I got it for good enough deal - I'd rather fix it myself if I can in the interest of keeping a mower going at home.

Thanks for any advice!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads

DonnieZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like you have parts missing or parts installed incorrectly. The rocker key can be reversed (there are two positions on the white clutch washer), not allowing it to engage. This manual is big and a little tough to use, but does discuss how your system works. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/443988/Toro-20330-Low-Wheel-Walk-Power-Mower.html?page=78#manual

Thanks for the link to the manual.

I would think if it's installed incorrectly, the wheel would get no torque, not just some torque. It will spin via the propulsion system. Does this sound correct?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, it make have what you call torque, but will not engage correctly.

DonnieZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the repliy and the link to the manual.
After reading the description of how things work, I had a much clearer picture of how the rocker keys work.

I was able to figure out that the white clutch washer seems to be the same for left and right, but it seems to be inverted 180 degrees for left va right. Whoever put it together seemed to put it together 180 degrees off. I was about to give up, but I took the working wheel apart and saw how the clutch engaged the rocker key. Put that side back together, took the non-working side apart again and inverted the clutch position and the pinion gear would lock up like the working side would.
I was about done and the outer retainer clip slipped and the spring went flying into the nether regions of the garage. 90 minutes of looking came up dry - so a trip to the local Toro dealer is in order tomorrow to get this put back together to test.