STX38 loses power when mower engaged.

pete c

Threads
Went and looked at JD I saw on CL.

Starts and purrs like a kitten, but when I engage the mower it stumbles badly and stalls when cold. After it warmed a bit, it would remain running....barely.

The seller says the engine is “weak”. I noticed that when I open the throttle, the revs don’t climb much.

Could this be something as simple as a throttle/carb problem?

I took a video of it that I will attempt to load.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 97405

These were good little tractors. I have 2 of them myself and am curious to see what is happening with this one.
These engines have hydraulic lifters so I am thinking maybe a blown head gasket.
I am interested in seeing the video when you get a chance to post it.

Will

pete c

Threads
[video]https://www.facebook.com/peter.condit.1/videos/vb.100000242757138/3350070111677714/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1569375078054365[/video]

pete c

Threads
Also going to look at an LT155. Runs well.

How does this model compare to the STX38?

D

Deleted member 97405

Also going to look at an LT155. Runs well.

How does this model compare to the STX38?

I couldnt get the link to load. It said it was expired.
But here is some info on the STX versus the LT that I have learned over the years working at the dealership.

The STX38 was a tough mower for it's size back in the day.
The yellow deck version only came in 5 speed, but the black deck version came in hydro or 5 speed manual.
The hydro was known to be pretty much bullet proof.
The yellow deck had better bearings than the black deck.
I would put the black deck close in quality to the LT deck in terms of needing to replace bearings.
For example, my STX30 still has all it's factory bearings and is running fine.
In my honest opinion, the STX is a much better built machine all the way around versus the LT155.
The 155 was not junk however. They have the good Kohler engine.
But if I had the choice between a hydro STX and a hydro LT, I would pick the STX.
If I had the choice between a 5 speed STX and a 5 speed LT133, I would still pick the STX.
I always felt as a technician that the LT155 was cheaper built all the way around versus the STX.
The hydro in the LT would typically not last as long as the hydro in the STX.
The STX had electric PTO versus the manual PTO on the LT.
The steering on the LT was cheaper built. As long as you keep the front axle spindles greased really good on an STX, you will probably never have any steering issues.
The weak link in the steering on an STX was the green plastic section below the dash that houses the steering. It was known to break if stressed too much. That was fixed by the black plastic section that replaced the green one. The black section had better reinforcement in it. So as long as you kept your front end greased, it would probably never break the black housing.
But.....since both of those machines now have alot of age, I would still rather have an STX than an LT.
That is just my opinion from being a tech here at the dealership for 21 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

pete c

Threads
You couldn’t get the Facebook link to load?

pete c

Threads
Wonder if I can send as a pm?

pete c

Threads
Ended up buying the Craftsman LT1000 I looked at.

Thanks for your help.