Stripped Torx Head Removal

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Stihl FS56 trimmer in which I am attempting to remove the back cover. The cover is held on by three torx head screws. Upon removing two of the heads stripped. The screws are down into channels about an inch making access difficult to get to the head to manipulate removal. Ideas? I have tried the rubber band trick, hammering a sttorx.jpgandard screwdriver into the head to get a grip. Other ideas? Thanks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You striped using a T27 bit or was you trying to use a T25?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have something wrong with your torx tool. Try getting a good one, or correct sized one.

Rocky J

Threads
I stripped a few on my ms390 saw . I drill the heads off, was not hard , then it cam apart so I could use vise grips

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
In ten years of working on Stihl I never strip a screw but destroyed a few Torx drivers; of course, I know there come a time that I will strip a head of a screw. Murphy is always hanging around.

Drilling the screw head is an option, just got to be careful or it is a new cover time.

I am just wondering why the screw is so seized.

Rocky J

Threads
My problems was cheap torque bits so I moved up from $1.99 harbor freight 12 pcs set to a $19.99 6 pcs set , but I will say the new stihl torque screws heads were the next size up different bit size, and they had lock tight on them which might be your problem, lock tight

upupandaway

Threads
If you still have the original problem, I drill out the head (just a little larger than the shaft of the screw not the whole head) then with pliers remove the screw itself when the part is removed. Thing is, being plastic be carefull to not melt the cover- add water\oil and take breaks in the process.

The Chairman

Threads
A common problem with Torx and Allen fasteners, is crud filling up the hole. Use a pick and make sure you can get the tool seated completely to the bottom of the fastener. A hand held impact driver can also help when fasteners become uncooperative.

515LTuFVY0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is what they look like. Never had any trouble with this fastener.

t27 002.JPG