Storm 3090 XP (357cc) - no luck with OEM auger belt replacement

the block

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Storm 3090 XP (357cc) - no luck with OEM auger belt replacement
I have a Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP (357cc) that I bought new in 2009 and has been running quite admirably up until the last season or so. I noticed there wasn't a lot of "oomph" when pushing through the snow, and the auger was getting bogged down very easily. I had never changed either belt so it was probably time. I also noticed it was leaking some gas too, and never changed the carburetor either, so time for some maintenance.

The drive belt was no problem. I ordered the 954-04201 which I easily got on and seems to be a match for match of what came with it.

The auger belt was a different story. I bought the Troy-Bilt 954-04195,754-04195 replacement. That's what the Troy-Bilt website says is the official replacement. As soon as I received it, I noticed it was different then what I had though. The original auger belt was cogged. This one was not. I figured I'd try it anyway so I put it in and started the snowblower and the auger immediately started running on it's own, eventually getting up to warp speed and the belt started smoking. I think the auger brake was still resting on it because I did not engage the auger, and I think that was causing the friction and the smoking (there's a warn spot down the middle of the belt where the brake would rest). It obviously wasn't enough pressure to keep the belt from moving though.

I thought okay, let me try and find an MTD belt that had the correct replacement model numbers, and also a cogged belt pictured for the item. I found this MTD 754-04195 and 954-04195 from Walmart, which pictures a cogged belt like the one that came with my snowblower. It came in the mail and was the exact same non-cogged Troy-Bilt belt I received first. I contacted Walmart and told them that they sent me the wrong belt, so they sent another one out, the exact same Troy-Bilt non-cogged belt again. So what they are selling is not what is listed on their site.

So now I'm kind of lost. The official channels of the Troy-Bilt parts recommendation website leads me to this non-cogged belt that seems a little too tight and smokes (not to mention runs the auger on it's own). I tried to specifically order a cogged belt, and they sent me the non-cogged Troy-Bilt belt. I don't know where to get the damn cogged belt replacement that came with my snowblower.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what exact belt I need, and where I can reliably get it? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Double check your belt routing. On those units, cogged and noncogged should not make a difference.

the block

Forum Newbie
Threads
Double check your belt routing. On those units, cogged and noncogged should not make a difference.
Yeah, everything is routed properly. I've taken the damn thing off so many times I'm now an expert on how it goes on lol.

the block

Forum Newbie
Threads

the block

Forum Newbie
Threads