Stihl Weedeater Dying

Kennykenny

Threads
I have a Stihl FS56RC Trimmer. While using the unit, while the throttle is pressed, the trimmer dies. I am typically able to get the trimmer to restart. On occasion, the unit will not restart and I have to wait a bit and it will restart and I begin the same circle again.

Any ideas as to what might be happening? Bad gas, carburetor. Something else?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could just be bad gas, and/or water in the gas. Dump it out into a jar and look at it.
If is old, just mix up a fresh batch.

mikebarber

Threads
does the weedeater slow down so much that it finally dies ?? I just got a used stihl 200 leaf blower that did that and the 1st thing I tried was the issue the spaerk arrestor had carboned up pretty bad and was limiting exhaust flow pretty bad I managed to remove that screen but that leaves a place for sparks to exit and possibly start grass / leaf fires Go to your shop and get a new part keep it safe When you rev it up check for how much exhaust flows out before you do anything There is enough room in the muffler to gradually slow down the engine A friend gave me a fairly large very nice shape Husqvarna blower and I took muffler off and the exhaust port on the cylinder had quite a buildup of carbon there was a pretty small hole for exhaust to get through broke up that cerbon up carefully to get it out and not pushed back into cylinder to allow it to cause damage

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Stihl FS56RC Trimmer. While using the unit, while the throttle is pressed, the trimmer dies. I am typically able to get the trimmer to restart. On occasion, the unit will not restart and I have to wait a bit and it will restart and I begin the same circle again.

Any ideas as to what might be happening? Bad gas, carburetor. Something else?
Remove the spark arrestor screen and burn the carbon off with a propane torch. It will turn cherry red . Put fresh mix in it. See if it runs better if not time to look into the carb

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it is the carburetor then repairing it will depend on if it is an old style or one of the newer ones. Old style used Walbro carbs so the kits are fairly easy to get. But if it has a Zama then it might be just cheap to get a new carburetor as Stihl dealers primary only have the GND (gaskets and diaphragms (4241 007 1002)) kits and not the 7010 871 0205 repair kit or can even find this kit on their systems.

Kennykenny

Threads
If it is the carburetor then repairing it will depend on if it is an old style or one of the newer ones. Old style used Walbro carbs so the kits are fairly easy to get. But if it has a Zama then it might be just cheap to get a new carburetor as Stihl dealers primary only have the GND (gaskets and diaphragms (4241 007 1002)) kits and not the 7010 871 0205 repair kit or can even find this kit on their systems.
I elected to go online and purchase a new carburetor kit after trying all of the suggestions given with no luck. This leads to a couple of other questions. In the kit, among other things, there is a black rubber grommet. Where does the grommet go? Secondly, I am assuming that even though the carburetor is new, it will need to be adjusted? If so, any tips/tricks on how to adjust it?

Attachments

• grom.jpg
    grom.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3
  • grom1.jpg
    grom1.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 3
  • grom2.jpg
    grom2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 4

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Fuel tank.

And yes the carburetor is setup to will start only adjustment, it must tune final settings. You must have tach to make the final adjustments of the low speed and idle speeds.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
So you bought a new aftermarket carb, and not a rebuild "kit"? The grommet is likely for rigging up some generic fuel line.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here is a pic of an original Stihl carb for your trimmer, and you can see it's adjustments...
56carb.jpg

Kennykenny

Threads
Following up on my original trimmer dying issue. I have replaced the carburetor(new), new fuel lines, new fuel filter, new gas. Still having issues. Upon installing the new carburetor , the unit started up right away. Ran for about a minute and then died. Could not get to restart. Waited about 5 minutes and the unit restarted. I let it idle for about 30 seconds and then pressed in the throttle and the unit revved up and then immediately died. Tried to start again right away and it wouldn't start. Did the 5 minute wait again and it started. Same issue, died when throttle pressed down. I turned the LA screw about one or so turns counter clockwise but it made no noticeable changes. I have not done any adjustments on the high and low screw yet since installing the new carburetor.

I have also noticed that when the unit does start, the trimmer head is spinning with nothing pressed in. I thought that didn't spin until the the throttle was pressed. Correct??

After another five minute wait, the unit started up. Started fine. I let idle for about a minute and it sounded good. I revved up the engine and it did OK. As soon as I let off the throttle, the unit died.

Ideas? Thanks.