Stihl TS800 cracked crankcase

Threads
Hey guys,

I have a TS800 concrete saw that the crankcase cracked in 3 pieces on the flywheel side. The part is like $350 which I really dont want to spend on it. Has anyone tried welding one of these? Or know where I can find a used part? I'll get pictures soon.

Thanks in advance!

jp1961

Threads
Hello,

I would say the crankcase isn't weldable with any amount of success.

I'd call around small engine repair shops to see if they have a used one, other than that check Craigslist. It would be helpful to know if this engine was used on other power equipment. For example they may have used the same engine on a backpack blower, a Stihl dealer should be able to tell you that.
Regards

Jeff

dougand3

Threads
Agree with jp1961. You can search for part #s but won't be a cheap find. Do both halves have cracks?
Clutch side - 42240202905
FW side - 42240202606

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To be blunt.
It is a concrete saw and a concrete saw is a tool that makes money.
If it makes money it will cost money to repair & maintain.
All of the parts for concrete saws are near twice the price for equivalent chain saw parts.
I am the only mug around here that will tackle concrete saws, even the shop that sells them will only repair them if they have been brought in for regular scheduled servicing.
Saws have a tough life so they are built tough and tough costs money.

The customers who "cheap out' & get me to fit chainsaw parts always complain that the repaired saw "aint what it used to be" to which the standard reply is " That is the best you can get using lightweight parts"

Thus generally they buy a new one, keep the old one as back up and sell the oldest into the handy man market where it would be lucky to cut 100 yards a year so the lack of power & slow cutting is an inconvienance not a drama.
I for one would neither think of nor recommend welding a cracked crankcase for several reasons.
Firstly being a 2 stroke the pressure integrity of the cases is essential
Secondly having a large blade spinning so fast the structural integrity is also parramount, should the cases twist a little during a cut it can cause very serious injury to either the operator or bystanders. I don't know if you have had a blade shatter , but it is not a pretty sight.

FWIW a brickie customer just bought a new brick saw.
Because the saw is his income he always buys top end products so got one with a bigger Honda engine than his last .
It came with a warranty disclaimer that warranty will only be honoured if there is a proven service history for the length of the warranty ( 2 years )

STEVES

Threads
Hey, looking for any updated info on STIHL TS700 cracked crankcases. Local paver I service has brought me five broke saws in past three years. All broken crankcases.
Thanks

Attachments

• 20211014_155125 (2).jpg
    20211014_155125 (2).jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 4

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The crankcases are thin cast magnesium alloy. Finding a shop to do a proper repair on the case would probably cost more than you want to pay. As Bert said, concrets saws have a hard life and most don't use water to keep the dust down so very abrasive concrete dust is in every part of the saw. Folks buy them for next to nothing after the first owner trashes them and think they can fix it up for not much money. Even using aftermarket parts you have to replce so much i won't work on them.

STEVES

Threads
Thanks, that's what I told my customer, was curious if any one else having multiple issues. Design flaw that STIHL won't admit???