Stihl ms 170 vs ms 171

mikehouse

Threads
I have very little need for a chainsaw,but i'd rather have and not need.....I'm getting 1 or the other.Leaning towards the 171.Reason: placement of tension screw.As small a saw as i'll need,it shouldn't matter,but in a pinch,if i needed to adjust the chain tension,it'd be quicker and easier from the side as opposed to in the front of the 'saw.Comments?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The side adjustments are a lazy man innovation and as such prone to failure.
I pull a lot of them out and fit a standard front screw because the gears are buggered .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have had a 170 for about 15 years and got it used. Got rid of the 043 chain and bar and put a 050 on it. Little thing will probably last forever and is older Stihl design easy to work on.
Flippy caps vs twisty caps
Front chain adjust vs side chain adjust
Every single part for the 170 is available aftermarket if that is a concern.
Either saw great for limbing and trimming. Keep chain sharp or will be unhappy with either. I use mine up to 6 inch stuff. Bigger than that gets the 361 or ported 660.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Agree with getting rid of the 043 chain and bar. I hate that chain. Just doesn't seem to hold up well for cutting in hardwoods. The chain is easy to twist the link when making loops from a roll. To make thinks even better this year there is a 325 version of the 043 that will be used on select Stihl and Husqvarna saws. Takes a special chain, bar and sprocket set to make it work. good news is all brands of saws will be using the same components.

mikehouse

Threads
Well,like i said i really don't have a burning needfor 1,but this Poulan i have is a p.o.s.
Upon my researching these,i subscribed to an experienced chainsaw guy saying "if you are being sold a chainsaw wirh fronr adjustment,run"!!!
I like his vids btw.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those Sears, Lowes and many other Poulans are the cock roach of chainsaws. They are everywhere and they won't go away. Hate those things.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Those Sears, Lowes and many other Poulans are the cock roach of chainsaws. They are everywhere and they won't go away. Hate those things.
Actually they are going away since Husqvarna has left the consumer box store market supposedly last year. The have moved their focus to premium handheld and Z turn mowers under their own name. Although the Poulan Pro chainsaws still seem to be appearing at Menards, etc.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I get those pooped on pro saws in all the time for rotten fuel lines, swollen fuel caps, bad carb, the 10% ethanol fuel left in the saws ruins the fuel system.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I get those pooped on pro saws in all the time for rotten fuel lines, swollen fuel caps, bad carb, the 10% ethanol fuel left in the saws ruins the fuel system.
In my area it is looking like Jonsered may be taking the place of the Poulan Pro saws.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I remember when poulan used to be good stuff then the Electrolux debacle. Like the troy bilt MTD thing. Seems like everytime a brand name changes owners the product goes to manure. I think companies just buy brands for the name and then sell trash on brand recognition till buyers wise up then sell it to someone else. Many manufacturers are trying to win the race to the bottom.