Repairs STARTER ON T1600H Z482 DSL

carving

Threads
Starter on T1600H Z482 Dsl will not turn over.Had it checked at parts store and it checked out ok. Is there a fuse that may have blown?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Do you have 12 volts on the large terminal of the starter solenoid?
Is 12 volts applied to the small terminal of the starter solenoid When the key switch is turned to Start?
If either of these conditions do not exist, that starter will not operate... :smile:KennyV

carving

Threads
THE RED WIRE IS ON THE TOP POST OF STARTER.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is generally a mistake to assume that a wire's color has anything to do with what the wire is doing or carrying...
You really need to measure the voltage to ground to see what you have...

The starter solenoid will have 2 large posts and one OR two small posts...
The Large posts carry positive 12 volts From the battery and then send it To the starter.
The small terminal, is the switch activating 12 volts that turns On the solenoid.
You can, loose either of these 12 volt positive sources and the starter will not run.
Measure the voltage at each terminal (while holding the key to start)...

The Most common reason for a starter not functioning is: a defective safety interlock switch... (this will prevent the 12 volts from arriving on the small terminal of the solenoid... :smile:KennyV

tyjoja

Threads
I have the same mower and a service manual if I can be of any help. I do know there is a safety switch on the seat

carving

Threads
I have the same mower and a service manual if I can be of any help. I do know there is a safety switch on the seat
I have a manual,but don't understand every thing , If you short the top post and the small connection it will start the engine. I had the key part checked and it tested ok. The lights on the dash want come on and you get nothing when you turn the key to first position or any position. Does it hurt any thing to start it with crossing the post?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will not hurt anything ... BUT be aware you are by passing all your safety interlocks, So if you start it in gear or with the pto on, you could have problems...
Check all your 'safety switches' and wiring... somewhere you have an open...
If you are the only operator & you keep in mind that you have by passed the interlocks, there is no problem starting at the solenoid... :smile:KennyV

carving

Threads
Thank you for your information. I took the starter apart to see if the brushes looked ok the had a little over half mabey I shorted something in the solenoid. Thank again CHARLES