Starter going out..?

tylerswire

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there.

Trying to start my LT 1500 and it's progressively gotten harder to turn over. I keep my battery on a trickle charger, so it's charged. I'm not sure what part this is, but the black canister with wires going into it on the side of the engine is making a crackling sound and smoking when trying to start the mower. Is that the starter?

Attachments

• 20221208_114847.jpg
    20221208_114847.jpg
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 6

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, that is the starter. If it is smoking when trying to start you are going to have to replace it, as it’s life is almost gone.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
My suspicions are the valves are out of adjustment and/or the compression release on the camshaft is broke, and the continued attempts to start the mower has cooked the starter.

So will have to start with adjusting the valves and confirm the compression release is working and then replace the starter.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And if it is making a crackling sound you can pull the starter off and check the brushes
The brushes are replaceable if it is shorting out .
If the wires in the armature are discoloured then it is scrap metal .
Buy a replacement from a real mower store not off ebay or amazon unless you want practice in replacing the starter multiple times
All of the aftermarket parts wholesalers do a line of good quality certified aftermarket starters that will work properly year in year out .
Don't get sucked into getting a "high power" starter as all of them are really "High current draw for no benefit" starters that will do nothing but cook your wires and over stress the charging system .

shadetree#1

Threads
Grasshopper:

Cracking on that black box is not a good thing.
Contact dbelectric for a replacement starter then adjust the valves.

You can find info on how to do all on you tube.