starter drive gear and ringgear

pipeproducer

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have a 2008 john deere 22hp briggs engine. bought it used. starter went out right away. the ring gear ( plastic) was worn down on two oposite sides on the lower part of the ring gear. ordered a new one and installedit. ordered a new startyer and put it on and stripped out the drive gear after starting it up 6 times. bought new starter drive gear and installed it and only lasted three starts. stripped the gear. bought these parts on ebay, the mower is an la145 rider. there is no adjustment on the starter so i dont understand whats happening here. 16 tooth drive gear. it seems to mesch ok with the ring gear okay. someone said the valvea need to be adjusted. dont know what that has to do with it. it has about 413 hours on the mower. thanks rich

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Need the model and type number. Also does the flywheel have a steel ring gear?

pipeproducer

Forum Newbie
Threads
model 4077770146b1 plastic ring gear serial 080822yg37170 starter i took off had less teeth on grive gear i believe 11 or 12. replacement has 16. i thought the one i first took off was wrong because the teeth seem to be to far away from the ring gear and so i ordered off of ebay the current starter, thanks rich

pipeproducer

Forum Newbie
Threads
seems to be a lot of conflicting info on steel and plastic gears online. all i know is the oner i bought and replaced is a hard plastic like the original.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have no problem with hard metal gears on starters or plastic ones.... It's the quality of plastic used I'm sure...
again, there is a reason OEM starters cost more... and CCP ones cost less... By the time you by 2 or 3 CCP parts replacing the other broke CCP part, you could've bought an OEM part and be happy.
$100 for the new starter, which is not bad now days.
I had this problem with a starter for an opposed twin, starter went out and i wanted one quick just to see if i could this thing running, orderd one for $32.99 Amazon, lasted about 8 starts and stripped.... It now has an OEM Briggs starter... Countless starts and it worked fine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The 14 tooth steel starter pinion gears simply do not mesh properly in the plastic and aluminum flywheel ring gears. The 16 tooth plastic does not mesh properly in the steel flywheel rings. It is the teeth spacing that is the problem.

pipeproducer

Forum Newbie
Threads
ok, how do you check the teeth spacing? i rolled and extra gear on the flywheel gear and it seems to fit ok. i still dont know how many teeth your supposed to have. the diamiter of the gear can make a difference. theres no adjustment on the startyer as it just bolts up to the block. cant find a supplyer yet that sells an oem starter or drive gear.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does this motor have a compression release for easy starting? Sometimes valve adjustment is critical for for this to actually work. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will look into this.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
ok, how do you check the teeth spacing? i rolled and extra gear on the flywheel gear and it seems to fit ok. i still dont know how many teeth your supposed to have. the diamiter of the gear can make a difference. theres no adjustment on the startyer as it just bolts up to the block. cant find a supplyer yet that sells an oem starter or drive gear.
Type your model number in at Parts tree, Jack's small engines, Pro Parts direct, you will find a starter... Possibly a gear too.