Stand mower on end

tjmcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
I realize standing a riding mower on end may be a fatal no-no, but I have got to ask. I have a Murray M155-42. I need to check and possibly replace the starter solenoid. I'm trying to keep from taking it to a repair shop and paying the huge labor bill for raising the chassis to get to it. Is it possible to stand it on end without hurting anything?
By the way, I just had it in shop because a safety switch did not work. Now, it will not crank. Just a clicking from solenoid. just checking.
Thanks.

Mower King

Threads
I realize standing a riding mower on end may be a fatal no-no, but I have got to ask. I have a Murray M155-42. I need to check and possibly replace the starter solenoid. I'm trying to keep from taking it to a repair shop and paying the huge labor bill for raising the chassis to get to it. Is it possible to stand it on end without hurting anything?
By the way, I just had it in shop because a safety switch did not work. Now, it will not crank. Just a clicking from solenoid. just checking.
Thanks.
I wouldn't stand it on end, all your gas & oil might end up on the floor....not to mention your eng could end up liquid locked.

dougand3

Threads
Some more diagnostics are in order. If the solenoid clicks - the plate is probably connecting the 2 big poles. Check for 12v on the starter side pole when key is in START. If so, the problem is downstream - starter. I'd rather drain the oil and gas prior to tipping. If you do tip, have plug and carb aimed UP.
Is this mower a standard front engine LT? The starter solenoid is normally on a wall or floor under the dash. Tipping not required.

Richie F

Threads
I have a Murray M155-42. I need to check and possibly replace the starter solenoid.
A starter solenoid is a item that does need to have complete machine lifted up to get to.
Do you know what the solenoid looks like ?
Why was the safety switch changed to begin with ?
Did it click before you had the switch replaced ?
Clicking would indicate the solenoid is operating but voltage is not getting to the large wire at the starter.
How old is the machine ?
If you put a plastic bag under the gas cap, shut fuel off to carb and remove the battery you can stand the unit up with no issues.

tjmcs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, guys.
It is an older machine. The solenoid is located beside the battery, under the seat with a plate between the battery and solenoid. Getting to it is a nightmare. The mower was in the repair shop because (this is what the repair shop said, not me) the blade belt broke and bent the PTO lever so that it would not contact the switch. All was well before the brake. After I replaced the belt, the mower would not crank. It was sent to shop for repair. Mower ran great for a couple weeks after returning from shop, then suddenly would not crank. Do not know if solenoid clicked prior as when key was turned, mower cranked immediately. I can see the solenoid but getting to it, nightmare.

Richie F

Threads
Machine number and year please.
Pictures ?

Mower King

Threads
Thanks, guys.
It is an older machine. The solenoid is located beside the battery, under the seat with a plate between the battery and solenoid. Getting to it is a nightmare. The mower was in the repair shop because (this is what the repair shop said, not me) the blade belt broke and bent the PTO lever so that it would not contact the switch. All was well before the brake. After I replaced the belt, the mower would not crank. It was sent to shop for repair. Mower ran great for a couple weeks after returning from shop, then suddenly would not crank. Do not know if solenoid clicked prior as when key was turned, mower cranked immediately. I can see the solenoid but getting to it, nightmare.
A lot of times on lawn tractors, when you remove the battery, the battery tray can be removed also for access.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you have a multi meter check the battery voltage when you try the starter.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it click once, or rapidly?
Crank it in a dark garage, and look for sparks, it could just be a loose or dirty connection. Sparking will tell you where there is a problem.

upupandaway

Threads
So you get a click when u turn the key??

If it is a pain to get to the relay, reach in with a metal rod and tap the relay a few times and try again. It just might knock loose the piece inside the relay causing your problem. At least it would tell u if replacing it is worth the trouble if it is a paint to get to.
Use a piece of rebar or something with a little weight if it fits.