Stamped Versus Fabricated Decks

Brucebotti

Threads
I see that most folks here recommend fabricated decks. I see that they are generally thicker and stronger, but what other benefits do they have? Do they actually give a better cut? I have only had stamped decks on the only two lawn tractors that I have ever owned. They both have been fine except for loading up with cut grass pretty easily.
Thanks,
Bruce

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I see that most folks here recommend fabricated decks. I see that they are generally thicker and stronger, but what other benefits do they have? Do they actually give a better cut? I have only had stamped decks on the only two lawn tractors that I have ever owned. They both have been fine except for loading up with cut grass pretty easily.
Thanks,
Bruce

I honestly can't say as far as better cut. However most of the mowers I have had over the years it seemed that the deck was a weak link. I have had several stamped decks that just could not take the punishment. A fabled deck is much more durable and can take much more punishment and still come back for more.

Rocketman

Threads
A stamped deck is just structurally flimsy compared to a Welded steel deck, and in commercial usage the welded steel deck is far superior. One thing though, stamped decks are much lighter and probably better suited for homeowner use as long as they are kept clean, and before they are put up for the winter they need to be thouroughly cleaned and oiled. As long as they are not allowed to rust, they can last a long time. They do tend to crack if they are abused.
I had to reweld a wheel strut on mine but so far it is holding up quite well.
Before I put my mower up for the winter, I remove the deck and pressure wash it, let it dry, and treat the bottom with spray lubricant. It has a little rust but it isn't getting worse and seems to be holding it's own. Leaving a deck all clumped up with grass all winter is what destroys most stamped steel decks!

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks,
Bruce

I had a John Deere dealer trying to sell me a $6,000 ZTR with a stamped deck tell me that John Deere's research had proven that a stamped deck(rounded design) gave a better professional cut than a fabricated deck(squared angles where welded by design). Right......that's why the JD ZTR's that cost $10K and up have fabricated decks:0)
I used to HATE having to clean out the grass clippings and dirt buildup every time I mowered with my 2006 Craftsman 54" lawn tractor(made by Husqvarna) and before that my 1993 True Value Lawn Chief lawn tractor!!!! No, these both were before they came out with the garden hose attachment for doing that. I even tried sprayng underneath the Craftsman deck when I first brought it home with ZEP teflon-based silicone(dries to a hard/slick surface....not "wet" silicone lubricant) and that didn't help. You don't clean them.....you throw a belt. All I can say is with 9.2 hours on my Gravely, I don't know if it is the fabricated deck design or the 18,000 fpm blade tip speed, but all I have seen underneath it's deck after mowing my yard a dozen times is a "green stain"....absolutely NO BUILD UP!!!! Can't say that I miss that fun job of spraying underneath the deck 12 times:0)
Does that influence you towards fabricated????:0)

Old Goat

Threads
Just got off my Big Dog cutting the 2.3 acres for the second time.

No wonder they named it that! The rest need to stay on the porch!

1.5 hours and used only about 1.5 gallons of fuel. I'm getting better and more impressed with each use!

The neighbor cut his yesterday with their Toro and the cut quality of the two yards is very markedly different. Both cut within 24 hrs of each other, 1 1/2 weeks ago and today. I only passed over mine ONCE. Mine is closest, theirs is full of hay, see below.

Nuff said?

I agree with DJ about the residue under the deck. Waste of time to try to clean it.
Go ahead & flush it with the hose connector fitting and see how long it lasts? I think my son's JD lawn tractor made maybe about three years before he was having to weld up the rust out areas!

What a piece of junk, http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/...r-ss5000-74631

Charles​

Attachments

• DSCN0009.jpg
    DSCN0009.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0010.jpg
    DSCN0010.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 135

Brucebotti

Threads
Thanks for the info everyone. My present Craftsman is 14 years old (about 570 hrs) and has a stamped deck. I clean it before each use with a putty knife to clean off the huge globs of grass that build up on it. Before winter I remove the deck and clean it pretty thoroughly. It is still in pretty great shape. I am looking to get a ZTR, but will likely keep the Craftsman to clean up the leaves with my DR vacuum.
Thanks again,
Bruce

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just got off my Big Dog cutting the 2.3 acres for the second time.

No wonder they named it that! The rest need to stay on the porch!

1.5 hours and used only about 1.5 gallons of fuel. I'm getting better and more impressed with each use!

The neighbor cut his yesterday with their Toro and the cut quality of the two yards is very markedly different. Both cut within 24 hrs of each other, 1 1/2 weeks ago and today. I only passed over mine ONCE. Mine is closest, theirs is full of hay, see below.

Nuff said?

I agree with DJ about the residue under the deck. Waste of time to try to clean it.
Go ahead & flush it with the hose connector fitting and see how long it lasts? I think my son's JD lawn tractor made maybe about three years before he was having to weld up the rust out areas!

What a piece of junk, http://www.toro.com/en-us/homeowner/...r-ss5000-74631

Charles​

I cut 4 acres with my Kubota ZD 326 yesterday in slightly under 2 hours. I didn't see how much fuel it burned yet but. Bet it is about that or less.

Kubota will send the big dog to the porch with his tail tucked between his legs.

I also have a little ZG 222 with a 48 inch deck that will cut 4 Acres in under 3 hours.

Old Goat

Threads
I cut 4 acres with my Kubota ZD 326 yesterday in slightly under 2 hours. I didn't see how much fuel it burned yet but. Bet it is about that or less.

Kubota will send the big dog to the porch with his tail tucked between his legs.

Big Dog R754 @ $4,800
Kubota ZD 326 @ $10,800

Really, I would hope you got something better for $6000 more.

Charles

TheCaffeinatedOne

Threads
In the old days this would be a Ford v. Chevy argument...:laughing: